Is There an Easy Way to Synchronize and Copy Files Between Network Directories?

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for an easy way to copy files in a specific folder structure on WinXP. The problem is that traditional copy methods either overwrite everything or do not copy new files. Suggestions for a copy utility to synchronize two network directories or use a command line tool like rsync are offered as solutions.
aychamo
Easy way to copy files??

Hey guys

Is there an easy way to copy files in the method I'll mention in WinXP?

I have a folder, C:\MP3s that is arranged as:

C:\MP3s\Artist\Album\Songname.mp3

I keep a copy of this folder on my LAN, on F:\MP3s .. The problem is, say I add a few new songs in different albums, and I want to copy them over to the F:\MP3s, I can't find an easy way to do it.

If I just copy it over, my only option is to overwrite everything, which is *slow*. If I pick for it to not overwrite (and hit Shift-N to answer No to all), then it won't copy over anything because it treats the directories as files. I mean, say I have four songs currently in C:\MP3s\Beatles\Abbey Road\ (like I wouldn't have the whole album!), and I add a few more songs. If I try to copy the folder over from C:\MP3s, and I don't click on "Overwrite All", it won't copy the new songs from \Mp3s\Beatles\Abbey Road\ because it sees that I already have a Abbey Road folder, and doesn't check the files in it.

Is there a copy utility to "Synchronize" two network directories? Or to copy files that don't exist (and it does subdirectories, etc?) I played around with XCopy, but I couldn't find a set of command line arguments that suited me.

Any ideas? I appreciate it, and thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Total Commander has a very nice synchronize function

Is TC free? :)

why not just map the mp3 folder on the c drive as a network drive?

1. How can I easily copy files from one location to another?

There are several ways to easily copy files depending on your operating system. For Windows users, you can use the "copy" command in the Command Prompt or use the "Ctrl + C" and "Ctrl + V" keyboard shortcuts. Mac users can use the "Copy" and "Paste" options in the Finder or use the "cp" command in the Terminal. There are also third-party file copying software available for both Windows and Mac.

2. Can I copy multiple files at once?

Yes, you can copy multiple files at once by selecting them all and using the same method as mentioned in the previous answer. For Windows users, you can also use the "xcopy" command in the Command Prompt to copy multiple files at once with specific options. For Mac users, the "ditto" command in the Terminal can be used to copy multiple files with specific options.

3. Is there a way to copy files faster?

Yes, there are several ways to copy files faster. One way is to use a third-party file copying software that is designed to copy files at a faster speed. Another way is to use the "robocopy" command in the Command Prompt for Windows users, which has advanced options for faster file copying. For Mac users, the "rsync" command in the Terminal can be used for faster file copying.

4. Can I copy files between different devices?

Yes, you can copy files between different devices using various methods such as USB drives, external hard drives, cloud storage services, or network sharing. For example, you can use a USB drive to transfer files from a computer to a mobile device or use a cloud storage service like Dropbox to transfer files between multiple devices.

5. What should I do if I encounter errors while copying files?

If you encounter errors while copying files, make sure that the files you are trying to copy are not corrupted or in use by another program. You can also try copying the files in smaller batches or using alternative methods like using a third-party file copying software. If the issue persists, you may need to troubleshoot your computer or seek technical support.