Easy way to remember formulae?

• Thread starter Cheesus128
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulae
In summary, the conversation is about someone needing to learn 17 formulas for an exam the next day and looking for a way to remember them all. Some suggestions are to use repetition or to remember them in a specific order. Another suggestion is to work out the formulas using units to help remember them.
Cheesus128
Hey,
I need to learn uhm 17 forumlas.
Really I need to know them for tomorow.
And I just can´t remember them all.
Does anyone have a little rhyme or so I can use to remember them all?
They are the basic IGCSE forumlae, e.g
1. Distance "divided" by speed x time
2. Change In speed "Divided" by accelaration x time
3. Force "Divided" by mass x accelaration.
etc.
Anyone know a good way of remembering them?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually the best way to learn these is repetition or by using the formulas a lot.

rock.freak667 said:
Usually the best way to learn these is repetition or by using the formulas a lot.

You know actually I've repeated these formulas like 5000 times and still I go do something else then come back and I can hardly get them right.
And lol using them?
To time consuming.
But thanks!

Cheesus128 said:
You know actually I've repeated these formulas like 5000 times and still I go do something else then come back and I can hardly get them right.
And lol using them?
To time consuming.
But thanks!

For the ones like distance, velocity and acceleration, just remember them in that order

velocity = change in displacement/time, acceleration = change in velocity/time.

Or you could work them out using units. Example, speed has units m/s and time has units of s.

If you multiply them, your units become (m/s)(s)= m, which is a distance.

rock.freak667 said:
For the ones like distance, velocity and acceleration, just remember them in that order

velocity = change in displacement/time, acceleration = change in velocity/time.

Or you could work them out using units. Example, speed has units m/s and time has units of s.

If you multiply them, your units become (m/s)(s)= m, which is a distance.

Yeah I suppose.
That would work.
Thank you!

1. How can I improve my memory for formulae?

There are a few different techniques that can be helpful for remembering formulae. One is to break the formula down into smaller parts and practice memorizing each part separately. Another is to use mnemonic devices or visual aids to create a mental image that can help you recall the formula. Additionally, practicing regularly and actively engaging with the material can also improve memory retention.

2. Is there a specific method for remembering complex formulae?

Yes, there are a few different methods that can be helpful for remembering complex formulae. One is to create a story or narrative that incorporates the formula, making it more meaningful and easier to remember. Another is to use acronyms or acrostics to help remember the different variables or components of the formula. It may also be helpful to break the formula down into smaller parts and practice each part separately before trying to remember the entire formula.

3. How can I remember formulae for different subject areas?

While some general memory techniques may be helpful for remembering formulae in different subject areas, it may also be beneficial to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind the formula. This can help make the formula more meaningful and easier to remember. Additionally, practicing regularly and actively engaging with the material can also improve memory retention for formulae across different subject areas.

4. Are there any tools or resources that can help with remembering formulae?

There are a variety of tools and resources that can be helpful for remembering formulae. These may include flashcards, mnemonic devices, visual aids, or even online resources such as interactive quizzes or games. It may also be beneficial to work with a study group or tutor who can help reinforce the formulae and provide additional support and resources.

5. How can I prevent forgetting formulae after learning them?

One way to prevent forgetting formulae is to regularly practice and review them. Additionally, actively engaging with the material and trying to apply the formula in different scenarios can also help reinforce memory retention. It may also be beneficial to create a study schedule and dedicate specific time to reviewing and practicing formulae. Finally, getting enough rest and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can also contribute to better memory retention for formulae.