Is eBay Asking for My Social Security Number Now?

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary: Bay.com.In summary, the eBay.com website is no longer accepting new members. In order to sell items, sellers must now provide their social security number. This is apparently in compliance with U.S. anti-money laundering regulations.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've never sold anything on ebay.com; only purchased.
Now they are requiring my Social Security number evidently as an IRS requirement to make sure the IRS is getting their money from sales.

Bye Bye Ebay

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes jbunniii, chemisttree, davenn and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Where else will you get overvalued, used stuff now?

Likes Averagesupernova
chemisttree said:
Where else will you get overvalued, used stuff now?
I'm done for the most part. I may still visit the Antique Mall in Lawrence, Kansas however.

Goods and Service Tax

dlgoff said:
Now they are requiring my Social Security number
That's disgusting.
That number was originally never to be used as identification for commercial transactions.

• Love
Likes dlgoff
Why would the IRS be involved in this if there is no federal sales tax?

According to Julie B
They are complying with U.S. Anti-money laundering regulations, specifically the Bank Secrecy Act and more specifically the Customer Identification Program requirement.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff
Keith_McClary said:
According to Julie B
Ah, this makes more sense.

Then Amazon and everybody else selling on line should do it too.
Considering the frequency of private company information getting hacked, providing another identifier opportunities for becoming more widely available seems like a bad idea.

Likes 256bits and dlgoff
Do I not understand how GST works? only the seller pays GST, not the buyer, right?
So requiring SSN of buyer is misdirected.

Likes berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
Do I not understand how GST works? only the seller pays GST, not the buyer, right?
So requiring SSN of buyer is misdirected.
GST is usually included in the price. So if an item is $9.99, then 15% of that is GST and is paid by the buyer.

If the price says 'excl. GST', then 15% is added on and that total is paid by the buyer.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
What's GST? Golfing Standard Time? :smile:
I wish. Even Amazon.com, .co.uk, and BookDepository.com* (or any other online business*) have to charge NZ customers GST now thanks to a law change (*with some prerequisites required).

dlgoff said:
Now they are requiring my Social Security number evidently as an IRS requirement to make sure the IRS is getting their money from sales.

Bye Bye Ebay
Maybe your membership somehow got into a seller category. Some state governments have recently required ebay and other online vending businesses to participate in sales tax collection. I've seen ebay requiring SSN from sellers for IRS Form 1099 'Miscellaneous Income' reporting purposes, and ebay has a 'Managed Payments' program for buyers that includes SSN disclosure requirements, but as far as I know, you still don't necessarily have to disclose your SSN to buy things on ebay ##\dots##

sysprog said:
Maybe your membership somehow got into a seller category.
Yes something sounds broken at eBay. I don't have to give my SSN to amazon, eBay, or my grocery store to buy things. Money laundering reporting is usually only required for large amounts, maybe they think you're going to buy a yacht?

OTOH, if I want to sell a bunch of junk at the electronics swap meet, I do have to give the organizers my SSN, they then give it to the State of California. I'm also supposed to fill out forms and pay State sales taxes.

DaveE said:
if I want to sell
You of course understand that sell is not the same as buy ##-## maybe a requirement of disclosure of SSN is inflicted on sellers and not on buyers? seems that way to me ##-## but this is PF, not ebay, and so I should here regarding this maybe go quiet ##\dots##

sysprog said:
Maybe your membership somehow got into a seller category.
No. Even checking the status of an order from my email required me to summit my SS no. And I even restarted my pc and just went to ebay.com. I also tried restoring my pc from a back-up; same thing happened.

dlgoff said:
That doesn't necessarily mean that you couldn't possibly be demarcated by them as a 'seller' ##-## you don't have to have completed a sale, or even to have offered anything for sale, for ebay to mark your account as a seller account.
dlgoff said:
Even checking the status of an order from my email required me to
If you would like to discuss this matter further with me, please PM me ##-## Thanks ##\dots##

Last edited:
sysprog said:
That doesn't necessarily mean that you couldn't possibly be demarcated by them as a 'seller' ##-## you don't have to have completed a sale, or even to have offered anything for sale, for ebay to mark your account as a seller account.

If you would like to discuss this matter further with me, please PM me ##-## Thanks ##\dots##
Nothing to discuss. I'm done with them.

Likes Wrichik Basu
sysprog said:
You of course understand that sell is not the same as buy ##-## maybe a requirement of disclosure of SSN is inflicted on sellers and not on buyers? seems that way to me ##-## but this is PF, not ebay, and so I should here regarding this maybe go quiet ##\dots##
OK, so TIL: selling isn't the same as buying, eBay isn't the same as PF, and you should be quiet?

DaveE said:
you should be quiet?
:oldconfused:
:olduhh:

you should be quiet?
I think that
"##\mathrm {should~here~regarding~this~maybe~go~quiet}##"
##\neq\square## (does not necessarily entail)
"##\mathrm {should~be~quiet}##" ##-##
and, maybe I should be vewy vewy quiet,
even though I'm not hunting wight now##\dots##

sysprog said:
I think that
"##\mathrm {should~here~regarding~this~maybe~go~quiet}##"
##\neq\square## (does not necessarily entail)
"##\mathrm {should~be~quiet}##" ##-##
and, maybe I should be vewy vewy quiet,
even though I'm not hunting wight now##\dots##
Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude or start a fight. No I don't think you should be quiet, then or now.

I just really, really, really didn't understand your post. Hence the question marks. "You should be quiet.", "You should be quiet!", and "You should be quiet?" are not the same. And yet I can still screw up the grammar. My post starts with a declaration and ends with question marks, so you are excused for any misinterpretation.

BTW, bonus points for all Bugs Bunny references!

edit: Plus I was being kind of snarky. Guilty as charged. I do that sometimes.

Likes sysprog
@DaveE inadequacies of languages may in some instances not be legitimately attributable to a fault of an individual.

@DaveE, nice ##-##
as I imitationally of in voce Elmer said,
"I'm not hunting wight now". :wink:
edit: Plus I was being kind of snarky. Guilty as charged. I do that sometimes.

1610148652857.png

Likes dlgoff

1. Why is eBay asking for my social security number?

eBay may ask for your social security number for verification purposes. This is to ensure that you are a real person and to prevent fraudulent activity on the platform.

2. Is it safe to give my social security number to eBay?

eBay is a reputable and secure platform, so it is generally safe to provide your social security number. However, it is always important to be cautious and make sure you are on the official eBay website before entering any sensitive information.

3. Do I have to provide my social security number to use eBay?

As of now, providing your social security number is not mandatory to use eBay. However, in some cases, such as selling on the platform, it may be required for tax and identity verification purposes.

4. What will eBay do with my social security number?

eBay will use your social security number for verification purposes only. They will not share it with any third parties or use it for any other purposes without your consent.

5. Can I opt out of providing my social security number to eBay?

If you are uncomfortable with providing your social security number, you may be able to opt out of using certain features on eBay that require it. However, this may limit your access to certain services or features on the platform.