Understanding the Role of Air Resistance in Solving Complex Scientific Problems

In summary, the student is struggling with understanding the problem and does not know where the e comes from. They are also familiar with vectors and how to add them together and with splitting a vector into horizontal and vertical components. They are attempting to solve the problem but are not sure how to get to the solution. They think about the problem and realize that the e comes from the limit as n approaches infinity of (1+r/n)^1/n. They relate this to euler's method and realize that this is a solution to the problem.
errubio

Homework Statement

all information is on picture

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I read the paper and understood it but when I got to the first question I was really confused. I do not even know what the problem is asking. This problem could give me an A in the class but its confusing the hell out of me. where did the e come from. If anyone can give me any hints or anything I would really appreciate it. I have worked on it for about 2 hours and I cannot figure it out. Please help

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
I end up with Vx=e^(-Yt) where Y=b\m
But i don't know where the cosine comes from for part 1

errubio said:
I end up with Vx=e^(-Yt) where Y=b\m
But i don't know where the cosine comes from for part 1

Are you familiar with adding vectors together and with splitting a vector into horizontal and vertical components?

for the first part, where

V,x(t)=V0costheta(e^-gamma(t)) I would search up the true definition of e. I believe it has to do with taking the limit as n->infinity of (1 +r/n)^1/n, but I think I'm wrong. Once you gather this information, think about it's meaning and relate it to this problem to prove that this is true.

oops I was close:
e = limn->infinity (1 + 1/n)^n.
http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.e.html
where let's say you have V0 then V=V0(1+a/n)^nt if P=P0(1+r/n)^nt=P0(e^rt)due to the limit as n approaches infinity.

Don't quote me on this one, but just try to reason this analysis out to provide a thoughtful proof that makes logical sense.

I'd then relate this analysis to euler's method. You know what that is right? I mean I hardly do, but this limit as n approaches infinity seems analogous to euler's method.

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion through the air. It is caused by the collision of air molecules with the surface of the object.

2. How does air resistance affect an object's motion?

Air resistance slows down an object's motion by reducing its speed and acceleration. This force increases as an object's speed increases, making it more difficult to move through the air.

3. Does air resistance affect all objects the same way?

No, air resistance affects different objects differently depending on their size, shape, and speed. Objects with larger surface areas or higher speeds will experience greater air resistance.

4. How can air resistance be reduced?

Air resistance can be reduced by changing the shape of an object to make it more streamlined, or by decreasing its speed. Objects that are more aerodynamic will experience less air resistance.

5. Can air resistance be completely eliminated?

No, air resistance cannot be completely eliminated. It is a natural force that will always act on objects moving through the air. However, it can be minimized by designing objects to be more aerodynamic.