1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EC Air resistance problem.

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

all information is on picture

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I read the paper and understood it but when I got to the first question I was really confused. I do not even know what the problem is asking. This problem could give me an A in the class but its confusing the hell out of me. where did the e come from. If anyone can give me any hints or anything I would really appreciate it. I have worked on it for about 2 hours and I cannot figure it out. Please help

Attached Files:

• Scan.jpg
      Scan.jpg
      File size:
      33.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2
    I end up with Vx=e^(-Yt) where Y=b\m
    But i don't know where the cosine comes from for part 1

4. Nov 24, 2011 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you familiar with adding vectors together and with splitting a vector into horizontal and vertical components?

5. Jan 5, 2012 #4
    for the first part, where

V,x(t)=V0costheta(e^-gamma(t)) I would search up the true definition of e. I believe it has to do with taking the limit as n->infinity of (1 +r/n)^1/n, but I think I'm wrong. Once you gather this information, think about it's meaning and relate it to this problem to prove that this is true.

6. Jan 5, 2012 #5
    oops I was close:
    e = limn->infinity (1 + 1/n)^n.
    http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.e.html
    where lets say you have V0 then V=V0(1+a/n)^nt if P=P0(1+r/n)^nt=P0(e^rt)due to the limit as n approaches infinity.

Don't quote me on this one, but just try to reason this analysis out to provide a thoughtful proof that makes logical sense.

7. Jan 5, 2012 #6
    I'd then relate this analysis to euler's method. You know what that is right? I mean I hardly do, but this limit as n approaches infinity seems analogous to euler's method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook