1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EC AND AERO combination

1. Apr 7, 2013 #1
    HELLO,
    I hav a UG degree in electronics and i am completely passionate about electronic circuits & stuff but on the other hand i am also interested in space & rockets. any chance where in i can switch over to space industry with my electronics ?? do i have any specific masters course which will help me get to my destination ??
    thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2
    Why don't you do electronics for the space industry? I would bet money that there are more jobs in the big areospace firms for electronics (both board level and integrated) than in traditional areospace engineering. A buddy of mine went to Northrup Grumman Space Technology after his MS in IC Design and works on radar and communication electronics for satellites. He kinda likes it, but working in the defense industry isn't for everyone.

4. Apr 9, 2013 #3
    space electronics

i have the same plans i don't want to get rid of electronics so thought about space electronics. very less universities offer course on this as to i searched on the net best one was university college of london. do you people know if there is space electronics course in any other good universities anywhere in the world, i am ready to dedicate to space study anywhere, also what is the scope, can i get into a space industry ?? please help
    thank you

5. Apr 9, 2013 #4
    You're probably best advised to do as well as you can in a good electronics course and then apply to defense and aerospace companies and agencies. The specific design techniques for space (radiation tolerance, redundancy, etc) aren't typically taught in school... you learn on the job.

Try your best to get an internship at an aerospace company. That's your ticket in.

6. Apr 9, 2013 #5
    thanks a lot for your advice carl i will keep it in mind. Internship i have tried but in vain until now.
    i am still waiting if anyone knows about a masters degree so that i get my ticket in for sure.

7. Apr 9, 2013 #6
    Most of your "space electronics" are very similar to "non space electronics" except that the chips are radiation hardened and have extreme environmental capabilities. So designing "space electronics" is almost identical to designing "non space electronics" except you have to be very careful in your component selection.

8. Apr 9, 2013 #7
    And you have about 4 additional layers of bureaucracy to deal with compared to commercial electronics. And you won't be able to ever get a good picture of the full system. You'll only know the specifics of the subsystem you're working on.

9. Apr 10, 2013 #8
    oh hmmmmm, thanks for the info i will head onto a specialization on electronics system designing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook