1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EC and DC circuits, using matrices please help

1. Feb 27, 2010 #1
    Can someone help me solve this problem using matrices and not Kirchhoff's rules. My professor posted this as a challenge question and I would like to know how to solve such a problem. Please help! I tried looking up how to solve this type of problem using matrices but to no luck. I don't know where to even begin with this question. Here's what the circuit looks like. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You!

I did this question using kirchhoff's rule and I would like to know how to solve this using matrices. Please guide me on how use matrices to get to the answers.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2010 #2
    Do you mean to ask how to solve a system of equations using matrices? Post the exact challenge of your professor, or are you talking about mesh analysis more so than the math to solve the equations?

4. Feb 27, 2010 #3
    Sorry for not being clear. He wants me to find the current through each resisters using matrices format. I found the currents using Kickhhoff's rule, but I do not know how to do it using matrices, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Here's the answers I found using kichhoff's rule.

I1= 0.92A
    I2= 0.65A
    I3= 0.27A

Thank you

5. Feb 27, 2010 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

You can use the matrix method to solve simultaneous equations. Your professor wants you to write the simultaneous equations for that circuit, and solve those simultaneous equations using the matrix method:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_equations

You can use either the KCL or KVL method to write the two equations, and then solve using matrices.

6. Feb 27, 2010 #5
    Sorry, I dont know what's KCL or KVL. My professor never mentioned anything with KCL or KVL. Can you clarify a little about KCL and KVL please?

7. Mar 1, 2010 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Happy to. KCL = Kirchoff's Current Law (node equations). KVL =n Kirchoff's Voltage Law (Mesh loop equations).

You can use wikipedia.org for more info on those circuit analysis techniques if needed. If you have further questions, post here, but show your work and your analysis of the wikipedia pages.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook