1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eccentric Angle of an Ellipse

1. May 30, 2007 #1
    I'm revising form my A-levels now and I ran into a bit of problem with a question. It looks easy, but I can't get the answer at the back of the book. Could be a typo, but could be me that's wrong.

Question: The eccentric angle corresponding to the point (2, 1) on the ellipse with equation [tex] x^2 + 9y^2 = 13[/tex] is [tex]\theta[/tex]. Find [tex]\tan \theta[/tex]

The book isn't very clear on what the eccentric angle is, so could someone maybe explain that to me, please? I understand it as the angle from the middle of the ellipse - in this case the origin - to the point (2, 1). So, [tex]\tan \theta[/tex] would be opposite/adjacent, 1/2. Apparently, it's not.

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I just looked it up at mathworld. The ellipse can be parametrized as x=a*cos(t), y=b*sin(t) where a and b are the semi-axes. The angle 't' is the 'eccentric angle'.

4. Jun 2, 2007 #3
    Thank you. I should've done that myself.

5. Jun 19, 2009 #4

SAC

Thanks a lot, Dick. This was causing me a lot of pain when I saw a question asking how I would graphically determine it, seeing as I had no idea what the eccentric angle was. Makes perfect sense now, just have to use a circle that contains the ellipse to determine the new angle.

Edit: (oh, and sorry to resurrect this thread, just occurred to me that I shouldn't have done so. I'm just so glad now that I couldn't help it :D)

6. Jun 20, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, cheers. Just because it takes two years doesn't mean it's not worth announcing you got it. I guess.

7. Jun 20, 2009 #6

SAC

Oh, I just happened to come across this on Google, so it wasn't long at all for me. Everything is relative.

8. Jun 20, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right, sorry, I confused you with to OP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?