Eccentricity of projectile in Newtonian gravitational model

In summary: This means that your formula will give good approximations for the eccentricity of an elliptic orbit, but may not be exact in all cases.
taninamdar
When we were taught gravitation, we were taught that if a projectile (with mass very less compared to that of the Earth) is projected from the Earth, its path is:
1. Ellipse, if the velocity is less than critical (orbital) velocity.
2. Circle, if the velocity is exactly equal to critical velocity.
3. Ellipse, if the velocity is more than critical velocity, but less than escape velocity.
4. Parabola, if the velocity is exactly equal to escape velocity.
5. Hyperbola, if the velocity is more than escape velocity.
So for remembering these conditions, I had intuitively come up with a formula,
e = abs[(v - vc)/(ve - vc], where v is initial velocity of the body, vc is critical velocity, ve is the escape velocity and e is the eccentricity of the projectile. abs is absolute value.
This formula seems to work with all these cases (gives corresponding condition of eccentricity for given condition of velocity) and gives exact eccentricities for cases of circle and parabola. However, I am not sure whether it will give exact value of eccentricity of the projectile.
So, my question is, whether the formula really works and gives exact value of eccentricity?
Also, I would like to see the derivation, if it works.
Thanks. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
A:The formula you present is a good approximation to the eccentricity of an elliptic orbit, but in general is not exact. The eccentricity of an elliptic orbit is given by$$e = \sqrt{1 - \frac{b^2}{a^2}}$$where $a$ and $b$ are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse, respectively. This can be derived from the equation for the ellipse$$\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} = 1$$by taking the derivative with respect to $x$ and solving for the slope of the tangent line at any point on the ellipse.If you make the approximation that the escape velocity is much greater than the orbital velocity, then you can approximate the semi-major axis as the ratio of the escape velocity to the orbital velocity times the orbital radius, i.e. $a \approx r\frac{v_e}{v_c}$, and the semi-minor axis as the orbital radius, i.e. $b \approx r$. Substituting these into the equation for eccentricity gives$$e \approx \sqrt{1 - \left(\frac{r}{r\frac{v_e}{v_c}}\right)^2} = \sqrt{1 - \left(\frac{v_c}{v_e}\right)^2}$$which is approximately equal to the expression you presented, i.e.$$e \approx \left|\frac{v - v_c}{v_e - v_c}\right|$$as long as $v_e \gg v_c$.

1. What is eccentricity in the context of projectile motion in Newtonian gravitational model?

Eccentricity refers to the measure of how far an object's trajectory deviates from a circular path. In the context of projectile motion in Newtonian gravitational model, eccentricity is used to describe the shape of the object's orbit around a central body.

2. How is eccentricity calculated in the Newtonian gravitational model?

Eccentricity is calculated by dividing the distance between the focus and the center of the ellipse by the length of the major axis of the ellipse. In the context of the Newtonian gravitational model, the focus is the center of mass of the central body, and the major axis is the longest distance between two points on the ellipse.

3. What is the range of possible eccentricity values in the Newtonian gravitational model?

The range of possible eccentricity values in the Newtonian gravitational model is from 0 to 1. A value of 0 indicates a perfectly circular orbit, while a value of 1 indicates a parabolic orbit where the object will escape the gravitational pull of the central body.

4. How does eccentricity affect the trajectory of a projectile in the Newtonian gravitational model?

The eccentricity of a projectile's orbit affects its trajectory by determining the shape of the orbit. A lower eccentricity results in a more circular orbit, while a higher eccentricity results in a more elongated orbit. This affects the speed and acceleration of the projectile at different points in its orbit.

5. Can eccentricity change over time in the Newtonian gravitational model?

Yes, eccentricity can change over time in the Newtonian gravitational model. In the presence of external forces, such as the gravitational pull of other objects, the eccentricity of an orbit can change. This can lead to changes in the trajectory and speed of the projectile over time.