Exploring the Intersection of Music and Technology: A Guide for Musicians

• Thread starter snackanddrink
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the different paths one can take to build music systems and the various skills and areas of study that may be helpful. The options include digital signal processing, communications science, computer science and engineering, and electrical engineering. The conversation also mentions the potential for incorporating these skills into one's art and the challenges of pursuing such a complex project.
snackanddrink
Let's say I want to build music systems. Which rabbit hole do I travel down?

Anybody do dsp? Communications science could double as a music processing skill, yeah? whaddaya say? I think it boils down to computer science vs. computer engineering. one being more software, the other more hardware.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure someone is more qualified than I, but:

Depending on what you mean by "build," you might even think about EE. Here's my litle bit of experience: I took a DSP as an EE course (elective), where we often wrote computer code to process signals (many were sound files, and the processing was done using a MatLab platform but of course you could use others). DSP is definitely cool, but of course, you might also want to know about signal process in the analog sense...learning about the actual electronics that can make up certain types of filters ... and that decidedly falls more in the realm of an engineering curriculum. In my day, computer engineering REALLY new, and was in the department of EE anyways...

Many of the EE's I know consult on things like the design of lighting systems, security systems, etc. and hire contractors to install stuff. Sounds somewhat similar, if you want design systems for buildings, venues, or even for people's homes when they are pouring big bucks into a restoration or new build.

Of course... whichever you chose...you can always tailor extra coursework or a minor to include the classes that really relate. Something really fun...there are companies (although they are often small) that do that kind of thing... can you find a part-time job or an internship in this area?

DSP will include a lot of programming. You'll design a lot of filters. Most of your coding will be done in MATLAB while you're in school.

How easily do you guys think the academic side of ECE applies to your own little projects? Like, is a class of dsp design going to help me make some neat max/msp patches? In other words, how has your education doubled in your art?

You are going to go through one of the most difficult academic programs in order to build a "music system". Good luck with that.

very keen on the constructive criticism, eh?
it may be in a few posters' interests to hold onto their identity and hobbies in their lifetime.

Do you live in Canada?

1. What is ECE/CS/PHYSICS for Musicians?

ECE/CS/PHYSICS for Musicians is a field that combines elements of electrical and computer engineering, computer science, and physics to study and understand music. It explores the connection between music and technology, and how scientific principles can be applied to create and enhance music.

2. How does ECE/CS/PHYSICS for Musicians relate to music?

ECE/CS/PHYSICS for Musicians is all about using scientific principles and technology to understand and create music. It explores topics such as sound waves, signal processing, and computer algorithms to analyze and manipulate music. This field helps musicians and music producers to better understand and control the technical aspects of music production.

3. What are some practical applications of ECE/CS/PHYSICS in the music industry?

ECE/CS/PHYSICS for Musicians has many practical applications in the music industry. For example, it is used in the design and development of music software and hardware, such as digital audio workstations, synthesizers, and sound processors. It is also used in music production and recording, as well as in live performances, to enhance the sound quality and create unique effects.

4. What skills are required to pursue a career in ECE/CS/PHYSICS for Musicians?

To pursue a career in ECE/CS/PHYSICS for Musicians, one should have a strong background in both music and science. A degree in electrical or computer engineering, computer science, or physics, along with a solid understanding of music theory and production, is ideal. Strong analytical, problem-solving, and programming skills are also important in this field.

5. How can ECE/CS/PHYSICS for Musicians benefit musicians and music producers?

ECE/CS/PHYSICS for Musicians can benefit musicians and music producers in many ways. It provides a deeper understanding of the technical aspects of music, allowing them to create more complex and innovative compositions. It also helps them to improve the quality of their recordings and live performances through sound processing and manipulation. Additionally, it opens up new possibilities for creating and experimenting with music using technology.