1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ECE or CS

1. Aug 11, 2005 #1
    I want to be in a position where I can design hardware, then write low level codes on chips (firmware) to make the hardware adaptable to software. Let's take a dvd player for example, I am thinking that if I have to write firmware so that the hardware and software can interact, I think that I would need to understand how both hardware and software works.

So what would be the better thing to do electronic and computer engineering or computer science?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2005 #2
    I vote ECE.

4. Aug 11, 2005 #3
    make sure to ask this question to advisors in the engineering departments! :eek:

5. Aug 11, 2005 #4
    CS is mostly purely software, whereas ECE is both hardware and software. Go with ECE.

Plus, the things you learn in ECE are less transient than the things you learn in CS. In CS, everything you learn will be outdated by the time you graduate.

Plus, you'll likely make more money with an ECE degree than with a CS degree, and you'll have an easier to finding a job.

6. Aug 11, 2005 #5
    thank you guys so much for the advice, I am now more confident that i will be going with ECE (99% so)..

7. Aug 11, 2005 #6
    Don't be confident just because some people on an online message board told you to go with ECE. TALK TO AN ADVISOR!

8. Aug 11, 2005 #7

yeah, this is too important to bungle!

9. Aug 11, 2005 #8
    no well it is not just because some people people said that I should go with ECE. I did take their "Academic and career guidance" into account. I will talk to an advisor though. Also I have done mathematics, physics, geography and communications at the advanced level and all my computer sci. knowledge is from self-study.

10. Aug 23, 2005 #9
    Plus, when going through a computer science degree program, you don't really "understand" the big picture of how computers work....not even close...

However, with computer engineering, you understand software, hardware, and the connections between the two, which gives you a much better big picture understanding of how computers work.

11. Aug 23, 2005 #10
    Right now I have started the ECE journey. And you are right leright (le"right" :)) because in ECE you work on everything from circuit theory to operating systems. In CS you do go into java, c++ in detail but those are things that you can learn easier on your own.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?