Computer Engineering and Computer Science for Hardware/Software Interaction

In summary, electronic and computer engineering is a better choice than computer science because you will learn more about how computers work and have a better understanding of how software and hardware work together.
exequor
I want to be in a position where I can design hardware, then write low level codes on chips (firmware) to make the hardware adaptable to software. Let's take a dvd player for example, I am thinking that if I have to write firmware so that the hardware and software can interact, I think that I would need to understand how both hardware and software works.

So what would be the better thing to do electronic and computer engineering or computer science?

Physics news on Phys.org
I vote ECE.

make sure to ask this question to advisors in the engineering departments! :eek:

CS is mostly purely software, whereas ECE is both hardware and software. Go with ECE.

Plus, the things you learn in ECE are less transient than the things you learn in CS. In CS, everything you learn will be outdated by the time you graduate.

Plus, you'll likely make more money with an ECE degree than with a CS degree, and you'll have an easier to finding a job.

thank you guys so much for the advice, I am now more confident that i will be going with ECE (99% so)..

exequor said:
thank you guys so much for the advice, I am now more confident that i will be going with ECE (99% so)..

Don't be confident just because some people on an online message board told you to go with ECE. TALK TO AN ADVISOR!

leright said:
Don't be confident just because some people on an online message board told you to go with ECE. TALK TO AN ADVISOR!

yeah, this is too important to bungle!

no well it is not just because some people people said that I should go with ECE. I did take their "Academic and career guidance" into account. I will talk to an advisor though. Also I have done mathematics, physics, geography and communications at the advanced level and all my computer sci. knowledge is from self-study.

Plus, when going through a computer science degree program, you don't really "understand" the big picture of how computers work...not even close...

However, with computer engineering, you understand software, hardware, and the connections between the two, which gives you a much better big picture understanding of how computers work.

Right now I have started the ECE journey. And you are right leright (le"right" :)) because in ECE you work on everything from circuit theory to operating systems. In CS you do go into java, c++ in detail but those are things that you can learn easier on your own.

1. What is the difference between computer engineering and computer science?

Computer engineering is a field that focuses on the design and development of computer hardware, while computer science focuses on the theory and algorithms behind software development. However, there is often overlap between the two fields, and many computer engineers also work on software development and vice versa.

2. What is hardware/software interaction?

Hardware/software interaction refers to the communication and coordination between the physical components of a computer system (hardware) and the programs and applications that run on it (software). This interaction is essential for the computer to function properly and efficiently.

3. What are some examples of hardware/software interaction?

Some examples of hardware/software interaction include a user typing on a keyboard (hardware) and the computer processing the input to display characters on the screen (software), a user clicking on a mouse (hardware) to open a program (software), and a user printing a document (hardware) using a printer driver (software).

4. How does computer engineering contribute to hardware/software interaction?

Computer engineering plays a crucial role in hardware/software interaction by designing and developing the physical components of a computer system, such as the motherboard, CPU, memory, and input/output devices. These components must be carefully designed and integrated to work seamlessly with software programs.

5. How can computer engineering and computer science work together to improve hardware/software interaction?

Computer engineering and computer science can work together to improve hardware/software interaction by collaborating on research and development projects, sharing knowledge and expertise, and incorporating principles from both fields to design more efficient and effective computer systems.