Building a Solar/Electric Car: Pros, Cons, and Costs

In summary, the schools Solar/Elect car team is deciding between building a car from the ground up, using an existing frame, or converting an existing car. The team is seeking detailed information on the time and cost involved in each option to help inform their decision. The third option involves leaving most systems intact and adding necessary components, while the second involves building a custom body. A helpful resource for this decision-making process may be the website listed above.
UESolarElect
My schools Solar/Elect car team is currently in the process of building a new car. www.solartiger.org[/URL] .we are faced with 3 choices, 1st is to build a car from ground up, 2nd is to build a car from an existing frame, and the 3rd is to convert a car.
I'm supposed to write a propsal, outling each of these ideas, pros cons etc. One thing i haven't found was detailed sites, where people have noted time/money put into projects. I want to have a tables showing these aspects, to help lean towards converting a car.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Pat

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can't help you with websites, but I can tell you what my school's (University of Maryland) teams do:

They convert existing frames, pulling out all of the engines and build the "guts" up from there.

What is the difference between the second and third option?

Hopefully someone can weigh in with a little more information for you.

The Difference, is that the second, is starting from a bare frame, custom body, and such. Where the 3rd is leave most systems intact, and then the neccacry components.

1. What are the benefits of building a solar/electric car?

There are many benefits to building a solar/electric car, including reducing carbon emissions and dependence on fossil fuels, lower fuel costs, and increased energy efficiency. These cars also have fewer moving parts, which means less maintenance and longer lifespan.

2. What are the drawbacks of building a solar/electric car?

One of the main drawbacks of building a solar/electric car is the high upfront cost. These cars can also have limited driving range and longer charging times compared to traditional gasoline cars. In addition, the production of the batteries used in electric cars can have a negative environmental impact.

3. How much does it cost to build a solar/electric car?

The cost of building a solar/electric car can vary greatly depending on the type of car and components used. On average, it can cost anywhere from $10,000 to $100,000. However, with advancements in technology and increased production, the cost is expected to decrease in the future.

4. Can I convert my current car to a solar/electric car?

In some cases, it is possible to convert a traditional gasoline car to a solar/electric car. However, this can be a complex and expensive process, and it is not always feasible for all cars. It is best to consult with a professional to determine if your car is suitable for conversion.

5. Are there any government incentives for building a solar/electric car?

Yes, there are various government incentives available for building and owning a solar/electric car. These can include tax credits, rebates, and exemptions from certain fees. The availability and amount of incentives can vary depending on your location, so it is important to research and consult with your local government.