How does the reappearance of Io during an eclipse relate to linear lighting?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter big man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eclipse
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the area of a sector and the amount of light on Jupiter's satellite as it reappears from its shadow. While one person believes it is a linear relationship, another argues that it is not. The conversation also mentions the use of a lightcurve to observe this phenomenon and clarifies the difference between a sector and a segment. Ultimately, the confusion is resolved and it is determined that the moon reappears in slices rather than increasing sector size.
big man
Hey guys,

I've got a query. When one of Jupiter's satellites reappears from its shadow wouldn't the satellite light up linearly? I mean if you assume it is circular wouldn't the amount it's lit depend on the area of a sector of a circle?
And that would mean that since the area of a circle depends on the central angle it is a linear relationship.

The thing confusing me is that someone said it wasn't a linear relationship.
Why would that be? Is there something I'm not considering here?

This is something I observed a couple of nights ago and I thought I'd check the lightcurve using some freeware. The lightcurve doesn't show a linear relationship, but I don't think I can rely on that 'cause I think the lightcurve is a bit dodgy due to the proximity of Io and Jupiter.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What you are saying there doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but it seems pretty obvious that a circle moving linearly out of a nearly linear shadow is going to brighten in essentially a half-sine wave pattern. Make yourself a demonstration if you are having trouble visualizing it, but as the shadow moves across the moon, you'll get larger and larger, then smaller and smaller slices of it, like slicing a tomato.

Sorry about the poor explanation.

What I was saying is that the area of the part of the moon that is lit up is increasing linearly. Since the area of a sector is given as [tex]A=\frac {\theta} {2} r^2[/tex] and since theta is the only changing variable I would have thought that area would increase linearly. Is this right?

A sector is a pie-shaped slice. When a moon reappears, it doesn't reappear by increasing sector size, it reappears by slices like a sliced tomato.

ahh yup I'm an idiot...

Thanks for clearing that for me.

I was looking at a sector when I was meant to be looking at the formula for a segment.
It's all sorted out now...Thanks!

Last edited:

1. How often does the eclipse reappearance of Io occur?

The eclipse reappearance of Io occurs every 42.5 hours on average.

2. What causes the eclipse reappearance of Io?

The eclipse reappearance of Io is caused by Jupiter's shadow passing over the moon as it orbits around the planet.

3. How long does the eclipse reappearance of Io last?

The total eclipse reappearance of Io can last up to 2 hours, but the actual eclipse period where Io is in Jupiter's shadow typically lasts for about 40 minutes.

4. Can the eclipse reappearance of Io be seen from Earth?

Yes, the eclipse reappearance of Io can be seen from Earth with a telescope or binoculars. However, it may be difficult to observe due to the brightness of Jupiter and its other moons.

5. How does the eclipse reappearance of Io affect its temperature?

The eclipse reappearance of Io causes drastic temperature changes on the moon's surface. During the eclipse period, the temperature can drop by over 100 degrees Celsius, while it can increase by the same amount once Io is out of Jupiter's shadow.