Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eclipse the movie

1. Jul 12, 2010 #1
    Ok, so I'm supprised there is not a thread about this one yet. lol

Hate to admit it, but this is by far the best movie in quite a while. They just keep getting better and better with every new Twilight movie.

How many of you actually watched it, and what were your thoughts about it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: Eclipse....

It's aimed at teenagers and people in their early 20's. So I am sure that people in that age bracket find it interesting and even good. I'm afraid I find it horrible compared to the vampire shows I've seen.

Don't hate me. I am a fan of vampire shows aimed at a more mature audience, and more in line with older vampire tradition. In other words, old and obsolete.

4. Jul 12, 2010 #3

I'd hope most people here are uninterested in childrens books...

5. Jul 12, 2010 #4

My boss, who is like 30 loves the movies too. It is very interesting. It has a good story line....

Ah, no one can hate you evo... you are the greatest!

6. Jul 12, 2010 #5

Evo

I am out of touch, according to my daughter.

I will adjust my shawl and go sit in my rocker and watch Forever Knight on youtube. :cry:

7. Jul 12, 2010 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I'm wearing socks older than that, so he definitely still qualifies as a youngster.

I must say that I was going to mention having never heard of "Eclipse", until I finished your post and realized that it was part of the "Twilight Saga". I've never seen any of them, but will watch them when they come on TV for free because I love special effects and prosthetic make-up.

8. Jul 13, 2010 #7

Hey, can't blame you for wanting to watch them for free :) Speaking of the make-up....

*spoiler* you have to notice how in each movie, it does seem to get better and better, lol.

9. Jul 13, 2010 #8

Evo

I just watched an old episode of a vampire show I used to love and it was horrible. Really horrible. I'm going to watch another to see if they are all that bad. :cry:

10. Jul 13, 2010 #9

~christina~

Gold Member

1. I bought the book series after hearing the 'hype' surrounding it. Result: I want my money back and I regret not borrowing them from the library instead. Anyone want a Twilight series set?

2. I tried to watch the movie on dvd (first one) and I couldn't get past 10 min of it. The acting was horrible. I'm lucky that one was actually borrowed.

Conclusion: I get confused when vampires stories don't follow the usual 'rules' (i.e. sunlight results in pretty vampires not dead ones).

I liked some of Anne Rice's vampire novels. Queen of the Damned story was good but the movie not so much.

11. Jul 13, 2010 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't read or seen the Twilight series yet. I do like some young adult fiction, though. I'm a huge fan of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_Games" [Broken] series. I can't wait for the 3rd book to come out in August.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Jul 13, 2010 #11

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, my. I originally thought this thread was about the total solar eclipse which occurred this weekend (visible from Easter Island). You can imagine my confusion when I misinterpreted Evo's post as:
    ...wtf? :bugeye: :biggrin:

13. Jul 13, 2010 #12

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl:

14. Jul 13, 2010 #13

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That was a great show - Lily Munster was hot! :biggrin:

15. Jul 13, 2010 #14

I was thinking she might be referring to Barnabas. I do not remember much of that show but thinking it was much like a dark and gloomy version of Days of Our Lives.

I am pretty burned out on Vampires and all of the new interpretations of them. I have seen plenty of vampire movies, 'a new take' is not something I am finding very interesting any more. I did not even care much for 30 Days of Night even though it is probably one of the better vampire movies I have seen.

edit: When some one told me about Laurell K Hamilton's books I was convinced that she was an Anne Rice fan on meth.

edit2: If you can find it I would suggest The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers. Vampire/historical fiction revolving around the lives of Lord Byron, the Shelleys, and Keats (though they are not the main characters).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  16. Jul 13, 2010 #15

Danger

Gold Member

That was, in fact, the only soap opera that I ever watched. It went off the air long before I realized that soap operas even existed, and I've certainly never watched one since. The name of it was "Dark Shadows" and Barnabas Collins was the main character. Somebody tried to remake it sometime in the 80's or 90's, but is sucked so badly that only one or two episodes made it to air.
    There was only one vampire in "The Munsters" (Grandpa). Yvonne de Carlo was hot not only in that, but was also a major sex-symbol in mainstream films for a couple of decades before the series aired.
    In retrospect, I can't help wondering if she and Carolyn Jones from "The Addams Family" were responsible for my erotic attraction to Goth women.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  17. Jul 13, 2010 #16

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No way: I'm still in that bracket, and think that these books are nonsense, let alone the movies!

Actually, I know quite a few people (who actually enjoyed the "books") who say exactly the opposite; namely that the films are getting worse. I have, however, not seen any of them: I can't think of anything worse than going to a theatre with hundreds of teen girls who break down screaming when an actor takes his shirt off (and girls call guys immature!!)

18. Jul 13, 2010 #17

Danger

Gold Member

On the other hand, if I should find myself in a theatre with hundreds of teen girls who break down and take their own shirts off...

...okay, I'd probably have a heart attack, but at least I'd die happy.

By the way, Cristo, are you a Brit or Canuk? I'm not used to seeing "theatre" spelled properly.

19. Jul 13, 2010 #18

I am not sure but my attraction to them may be from those shows too. I can't think of anywhere else I may have gotten it from. I have avoided watching the Limony Snickets movie since the brief glimpse I got of it made me feel like a pervert.

20. Jul 13, 2010 #19

There was a time when you may have seen something close at The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

21. Jul 13, 2010 #20

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm a Brit: in fact, if I wasn't talking to a international audience, I'd say "cinema" (since that's the word that's used over here), but I've given up speaking in true English nowadays, especially when talking to Americans, since sometimes they don't have a clue what I'm saying!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook