Eco Yoga Mat - TPE: Healthy & Environmentally Friendly

• Thread starter Turbo 930
  • Start date
In summary, the seller is making claims that the use of TPE in a yoga mat is designed to decompose in landfills, leaving behind only water and biodegradable components. They claim that PVC-free and contains no lates or rubber of any kind and no toxic materials are used in its production. However, these claims leave the customer thinking the use of TPE is very "healthy" and reduces negative environmental impact.
Turbo 930
A seller is claiming the use of TPE (Thermal Plastic Elastomer) in their Yoga Mat is "designed to decompose in landfills, leaving behind only water and biodegradable components. PVC-free and contains no lates or rubber of any kind and no toxic materials are used in its production". They make these additional claims:

Eco-friendly
No heavy metals

These claims leave the customer thinking the use of TPE is very "healthy" and reduces negative environmental impact.

Any readers have insight or input on the veracity or accuracy of these claims?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Is it common for yoga mats to contain heavy metals?

That's usually the deception in these sorts of product claims...the competing product doesn't have that stuff either, just nobody thinks it's necessary to tell the consumer all the things a product doesn't have in it.

This reminds me of a related thing. Our cafeteria is selling refillable plastic mugs labeled "Go Green." They have some stats on a card by them about how long it takes plastics to degrade in the "environment" (something like anywhere between 8 and 400 some odd years...not the exact numbers, but you get the gist), then says that these mugs will degrade in 5 years "in a properly managed landfill." So, that still has me wondering, if those other plastics were not just in the environment, but in a properly managed landfill, are these mugs really any different from them? Or, does that mean these mugs aren't going to last very long as a reusable item? Granted, they're better than the disposable styrofoam cups if you reuse them, but the phrasing of the claims regarding the plastic seems similar to the one in the OP, where it's just dodgy enough to make me think it might not be anything special at all.

Moonbear said:
That's usually the deception in these sorts of product claims...the competing product doesn't have that stuff either, just nobody thinks it's necessary to tell the consumer all the things a product doesn't have in it.
The iPhone claims it's display is arsenic free glass.
I suppose it could catch on - your local indoor pool could advertise as 'shark free'

mgb_phys said:
The iPhone claims it's display is arsenic free glass.
I suppose it could catch on - your local indoor pool could advertise as 'shark free'

:rofl: Our burgers are 100% dog-meat free!

What is an Eco Yoga Mat made of?

An Eco Yoga Mat is made of TPE (Thermoplastic Elastomer), which is a type of synthetic rubber that is free from harmful chemicals and is biodegradable.

How is an Eco Yoga Mat environmentally friendly?

An Eco Yoga Mat is environmentally friendly because it is made from TPE, which is biodegradable and does not release harmful chemicals into the environment. It also does not require the use of natural resources, such as rubber trees, for production.

Is TPE safe for my health?

Yes, TPE is considered safe for human health. It is free from harmful chemicals such as PVC, phthalates, and latex, making it a healthier option compared to traditional yoga mats.

How does an Eco Yoga Mat compare to traditional yoga mats?

An Eco Yoga Mat is comparable to traditional yoga mats in terms of performance. It provides a non-slip surface and cushioning for your yoga practice. However, it is a more sustainable and environmentally friendly option.

How do I care for my Eco Yoga Mat?

To care for your Eco Yoga Mat, simply wipe it down with a damp cloth after each use and let it air dry. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasives, as they may damage the mat. If needed, you can also clean it with a mild detergent and water.