Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ecological pyramids

1. Dec 18, 2014 #1
    According to ecological pyramid of numbers there are far more producers than consumers.How?I mean nowadays human population has increased so much and deforestation is also taking place in spite of all these how producers are far ahead from consumers in terms of numbers?Have i interpreted ecological pyramid correctly?Is it correct that there are far more producers than consumers?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Numbers? Or, mass?

4. Dec 18, 2014 #3
    actually,both.

5. Dec 18, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Compare numbers of blue whales to numbers of whatever little critters they consume, and then compare masses (total and individual) of blue whales to masses (total and individual) of critters.

Compare numbers and masses of termites to numbers and masses of cellulose producing plants.

Compare "consumption" in terms of mass consumed to mass of consumer per year. Can the consumers live on nothing if their total mass exceeds the mass of producers necessary to support that mass?

6. Dec 18, 2014 #5
    I must mention it is not just mass it is biomass.So in terms of biomass and numbers.

7. Dec 18, 2014 #6
    I am really not getting anything.Tomorrow is my test, can you please directly answer my question or make your point much clearer.I have to prepare for my test,there is no much time left.

8. Dec 18, 2014 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Consumers can't eat food that isn't being produced. Consumer mass is never going to exceed producer mass.

9. Dec 18, 2014 #8
    What's the difference between mass and biomass?

10. Dec 18, 2014 #9

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Biomass is any living (or once living) material derived originally from photosynthesis.

11. Dec 18, 2014 #10
    If we talk about our mass ,is it greater or lesser than biomass?or just the same?i think mass is greater than biomass,as our mass include water which is not product of photosynthesis.right?

12. Dec 18, 2014 #11

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The geochemical "rules of thumb" I learned measured "dry" mass, about 30 % of the mass of living organisms, or the actual organic material minus water. Different fields may look at total, organic mass plus water mass, but the ratios between producers and consumers will be very close to the same.

13. Dec 18, 2014 #12
    ratio of what?

14. Dec 18, 2014 #13

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Masses, whether wet or dry. Hundred kilograms of producers support ten kilograms of consumers, for example , that's a fifty year old rule of thumb, so use whatever ratio is being used in your class.

15. Dec 18, 2014 #14
    is dry mass and biomass same thing?

16. Dec 18, 2014 #15
    Here supports mean?

17. Dec 18, 2014 #16

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Biomass is anything of biological origin. "Dry" biomass is about 30% of wet biomass or living biomass.

18. Dec 18, 2014 #17

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"To support," to feed, keep alive.

19. Dec 18, 2014 #18
    wet biomass?I thought dry mass(or dry biomass ?)is mass excluding water .And biomass is anything we obtain from photosynthesis.As water is not obtained from photosynthesis ,i thought dry mass is just same as biomass.But what is wet biomass now?

20. Dec 18, 2014 #19
    for how long?I mean we eat on daily basis so..................

21. Dec 18, 2014 #20

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Geochemists talk about "dry mass." I do not know whether biologists or other life scientists define biomass as being "wet" or "dry." The grass that grows in the sun is biomass. The cow that eats the grass is biomass. The people who eat the cow are biomass.

You will eat between two and three times your mass per year depending upon your activity level.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook