1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Econ Question - Inferior Goods

1. Feb 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is the question:

Suppose demand is given by Q = 30 – 3P. Does this indicate increasing prices increases revenue?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to go about figuring this out....what should I look for?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ACcording to our guidelines (see link below), we can't help you until you show us your effort first.

How is revenue related to demand and price? Do you have to make an assumption for this relationship to work?

4. Feb 4, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is the demand when P= 1? What is the demand when P= 2? Does increasing the price increase the demand?

5. Feb 4, 2007 #4
    Thanks very much Halls! That is exactly what I was looking for!

So, if we let p=1, we get 30-3(1)=27. if we let p=2, we get 30-3(2)=24, and if we let p=3, we get 30-3(3)=21. The price is obviously decreasing...

Thanks again!

6. Feb 5, 2007 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you mean to say the demand is decreasing. But this does not tell you what the revenue is doing.

7. Feb 5, 2007 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation of Demand (Q) is linear. Plot Q vs. P and see at what point Q will become zero (no demand = no revenue).

I assume that your instructor interprets demand as a euphemism for revenue in this example.

8. Feb 7, 2007 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I sure hope not. Revenue is the product of demand and price (in the limit of infinite supply).

9. Feb 7, 2007 #8
    So far the link between Demand (Q) and Price (P) has been determined as it is the linear plot Q= 30-3P, but Revenue (R) has not been calculated at all.

Assuming you have enough stock such that you will always meet demand. How much revenue would you make if P=1, P=2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?