Economics: IRR vs NPV - Comparing Projects A and C

• Thread starter martine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Economics
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of which project to choose based on IRR, NPV, and other tools. Project A and C were identified as the most promising options, with the same initial investment but different cash flow patterns. Project A has a higher IRR and lower NPV compared to project C. The conversation also mentions that the lecturer was moving quickly through the material, making it difficult to fully understand the reasoning behind why project A is preferable.
martine
Hello,

I've had an intro economics course recently and there are still a couple of questions unanswered.

One of the examples given where a handfull of projects with an initial investment and positive cash flows the following years. The question was which project is preferable when looking at IRR, NPV and a couple of other tools.

It was decided that the first two methods where most important and that project A and C looked most promising. Both had the same initial investment.
A: high first cashflow, moderate cashflow for a few years, then none anymore
C: low but stable cashflow throughout into the future

A: IRR ~13% NPV ~18
C: IRR ~10% NPV ~23

I only wrote down a few advantages and disadvantages for both methods and the remark that project A is preferable to C. The question is why? The IRR I learned cannot be used for ranking across projects and the NPV is lower. Maybe because the initial investment is paid back quicker or are there other arguments for that? I know I should have asked the lecturer, but he was speeding so quickly through his slides that I just tried to keep up with taking notes and id not really think about what he was saying.

Thanks a lot for any hints.
M.

Physics news on Phys.org
Many will say that this is because IRR assumes reinvestment at the IRR rate, but it is not quite correct. However, for projects with large early cashflows it will be overstated relative to NPV. The basic idea is that one would rather have an investment that compounded at 15% for ten years than one that returned 20% in one year and then would have to be re-invested.

This page has a good explanation:
http://hspm.sph.sc.edu/COURSES/ECON/Invest/invest.html

In essence, the IRR reports the discount rate at which the NPV would be zero, but it's hard to compare investments on the basis of IRR only if the relative timings of payments differ significantly, because the NPV zero point may not tell much about the value at other discount rates.

Last edited by a moderator:
martine said:
Hello,

I've had an intro economics course recently and there are still a couple of questions unanswered.

One of the examples given where a handfull of projects with an initial investment and positive cash flows the following years. The question was which project is preferable when looking at IRR, NPV and a couple of other tools.

It was decided that the first two methods where most important and that project A and C looked most promising. Both had the same initial investment.
A: high first cashflow, moderate cashflow for a few years, then none anymore
C: low but stable cashflow throughout into the future

A: IRR ~13% NPV ~18
C: IRR ~10% NPV ~23

I only wrote down a few advantages and disadvantages for both methods and the remark that project A is preferable to C. The question is why? The IRR I learned cannot be used for ranking across projects and the NPV is lower. Maybe because the initial investment is paid back quicker or are there other arguments for that? I know I should have asked the lecturer, but he was speeding so quickly through his slides that I just tried to keep up with taking notes and id not really think about what he was saying.

Thanks a lot for any hints.
M.

If by IRR you mean Incremental Rate of Return and not Internal Rate of Return, then you'll select the project that has an IRR greater than your MARR. When comparing projects one typically uses Incremental Analysis to determine which one maximizes the NPW of the alternatives.

CS

1. What is the difference between IRR and NPV?

IRR (Internal Rate of Return) is a financial metric that calculates the rate of return a project is expected to generate. NPV (Net Present Value) is a financial metric that calculates the present value of all cash inflows and outflows of a project. The main difference between the two is that IRR focuses on the percentage return, while NPV focuses on the monetary value.

2. How do I calculate IRR and NPV?

To calculate IRR, you need to determine the initial investment and expected cash flows of the project. Then, using a trial and error method, you can find the discount rate that makes the NPV of the project equal to zero. To calculate NPV, you need to discount each cash flow by the project's required rate of return and then add them together. If the NPV is positive, the project is expected to be profitable.

3. Which project should I choose based on IRR and NPV?

When comparing two projects, you should choose the one with the higher NPV, as it represents the maximum value to the company. However, if the projects have different scales, the IRR can provide a more accurate comparison, as it takes into account the percentage return.

4. Can I use IRR and NPV for any type of project?

IRR and NPV are commonly used for investment analysis, but they can also be applied to other types of projects, such as research and development, marketing campaigns, and new product launches. However, these metrics may not be suitable for projects with uncertain or non-monetary benefits.

5. What are the limitations of IRR and NPV?

IRR and NPV have their own limitations and should be used cautiously. IRR assumes that all cash flows will be reinvested at the same rate, which may not be realistic. NPV assumes all cash flows can be reinvested at the required rate of return, which may not always be possible. Moreover, both metrics rely on accurate cash flow estimates and do not consider qualitative factors such as risk and opportunity costs.