1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ecuations Resolution

1. Jan 3, 2005 #1
    Dear Friends,

Another questions about mathmatics.

How can be resolved a ecuation like this?

[tex]{ \frac{ \partial{(m \vec {v} - \Psi \vec {v})}}{ \partial {t} } = \nabla (\Psi \vec {v}^2 )[/tex]

Asuming that v could be any vector, m a constant, and psi a wave function. It's not the similar that a wave ecuation.

And more:

Is this ok? [tex] \Psi (\vec {v} \nabla) \vec {v} = \Psi \vec {v} (\nabla \vec {v}) [/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So i should understand that the unknown from your equation would be [itex]\Psi [/itex] ??That is to say,all other quantites are known... :confused:
    So your equation should be looking like that
    [tex] -\vec{v}\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial t}=\vec{v}^{2}\nabla\Psi+\Psi\nabla(\vec{v}^{2})-m\frac{\partial\vec{v}}{\partial t} [/tex]

I'lm afraind your equation is not 'balanced'.It has only one unknown and three equations.It's actually a system of 3 differential eq.with partial derivatives,but still only one function.Now,if 'v' is an unknown vector function as well,then the eq.(the system of eq.is not 'balanced' again).This time it would 4 unknowns,but only three quations.

My guess,it's something fishy with your eq.Double check it.

Write it in tensor notation.Simplify through the (assumed nonzero) scalar function [itex] \Psi[/itex] and u'll get
    [tex] v_{i}\frac{\partial v_{j}}{\partial x_{i}} \vec{e}_{j} [/tex]
    is the LHS.
    [tex] v_{j}\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial x_{i}} \vec{e}_{j} [/tex]
    is the RHS.
    You can see they're different.The first is a contracted tensor product between the vector 'v' and its gradient (which is a second rank tensor),while the second is the product between the vector and its divergence (which is a scalar).Though 'balanced' wrt to tensor rank,the two sides are different.
    Therefore,u don't have an equality.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?