Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eddy current loss help please

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1
    Hi, I have been trying to understand eddy current loss in transformer cores but seem to have run into a bit of a misunderstanding with one of the books I have read, and I was wondering if someone could just clarify if I have got this all right.

starting with the beginning, if the magnetic flux varies sinusoidal, then the flux at one instant would be;

∅ = ∅msin(ωt) (I have been told this should be done in degrees and not radians?)

value of induced emf in core at any time (t) =

[itex]\frac{d∅}{dt}[/itex] = ω∅mcos(ωt)

Am I correct in saying that from this second equation, ωθm = Em (Max induced EMF in core)?

If Es = rms value of emf induced in core, this = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]ω∅m = [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]∏f∅m = [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]∏f(ABm)

Eddy current Power Losses = [itex]\frac{Es2}{Rs}[/itex]
    = [itex]\frac{2*∏2*f2*A2*Bm2}{Rs}[/itex]

The next bit is the section of the notes that seems to confuse me,

Eddy current Power Loss = PE = KE*f2*BM2, where KE = Constant = 2*∏2*A2/Rs.

The book then says 'hence eddy current losses = α (f2*BM2)

Does this mean that KE is the same as α and eddy current power loss is the same as eddy current loss, or are these two different things? As far as I can see they appear the same but I just wanted to make sure from someone who has a bit more experience or knowledge of this.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

That would be emf induced per turn in the winding around the core, I think.

Lose the equals sign. I think that should be a simple proportionality:

eddy current losses α (f2*BM2)

4. Oct 7, 2013 #3
    Both are the same, eddy current losses means the power loss due to eddy current.

5. Oct 8, 2013 #4

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Try a search on Steinmetz - he figured it out by experiment late 1800's
    some old textbooks are showing up online nowadays with first-hand explanation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook