Eddy Current separators

1. Hello
    I am a graduate Mechanical Design Engineer who was recently offered a job (through a graduate scheme) at a company that develops Recycling and waste management systems. As part of this I have to design and develop an new eddy current separation system so that the company can build the product in-house.

I wanted to ask the following questions :

where would the best place to look for information on Eddy current separation technology?

How effective are current systems and can they feasibly be improved on?

Do certain non-ferrous metals have a higher capability of been pushed further forward.

Do large bits of waste get thrown further than small bits of waste?
  2. jcsd
  3. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?
  4. Baluncore

Baluncore 3,305
    Science Advisor

Search the web and the trade specific equipment suppliers.

Some are good and some can be improved. That is the way of the world. There is no simple answer.
    The characteristics of the shredder before the separator needs to be matched to the separator. You must find the lowest cost solution by adjusting both systems to work together.

Yes, the electrical conductivity, magnetic properties and density are all important.

Mass rises as the cube of the dimension, surface area as the square. The eddy currents are induced only in the surface area. The material, shape and orientation have a big effect on the trajectory.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted