Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eddy-current speedometers

1. Mar 15, 2008 #1
    For my physics practical coursework I investigated how the rate of revolution of the permanent magnet in an eddy-current speedometer affects the turning force induced in the metal cup or plate.

I got the results I expected, and I am required to prove them using appropriate equations and calulations. Does anyone have any idea of which equations are relevent to this application?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2008 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What level are you at: high school, introductory college/university, or intermediate college/university? What level of math: algebra only, single-variable calculus, multivariable (vector) calculus?

Do you have a textbook available to you as part of the course? What sort of material does it have about electromagnetic induction and Lenz's Law?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  4. Mar 16, 2008 #3
    im at sixth form, so just before university. i do a fair bit of calculus, mainly single variable. I know about lenz's law and faraday's law, induction and all that, and that they have some relevence, I just dont see how they can be used for calculations to get numerical answers in this context. Basically, I need to relate revolutions per second to force

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?