Eddy Current transient problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving eddy currents in an internship project. The problem is a U-shaped aluminum slider with steel plates and 10 magnets, which can be pulled over an aluminum or copper plate with a constant space of ?mm. The question is how big the eddy current force is when the slider is pulled at a speed of 4m/s. The student is unsure about how to use Maxwell to solve this problem and is seeking help. They have attempted to simulate one magnet successfully but encountered issues when trying to add another magnet. They are unsure why the calculated values in Maxwell differ from the measured values in practice.
Powersprint2

Homework Statement

For my internship I need to solve a problem with eddy currents involved.

The problem shows a U-shaped aluminum slider (see attachment) with steel plates on the left and right side mounted on it. In this aluminum slider there are 10 magnets (5 at each side) with a strength of ??Tesla each.

The slider can be pulled over an aluminum or, if this isn’t possible a copper plate that has a thickness of ?mm with an external force. This results in a speed of about 4m/s. The space between the slider and the aluminum (or copper) plate is constant and is about ?mm on each side.

The question is now how big is the eddy current force when I pull this slider with 4m/s over the aluminum plate?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

All the question marks in the text above are variables. Therefore I think I have to use Maxwell as a numerical solver for this problem. But I don't know how to use Maxwell for this problem.I did the 2 tutorials (rotational actuator and transient problem) that came with the Maxwell install and I have the schematic 3D model completely in Maxwell (see attachment) with the "standard" values for the variables, but I don't know how to install all the boundaries, excitations and all the other setups on the right way. It seems Maxwell is a very complicated program for a beginner like me.
Could anyone on this forum help me with this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Arno

Attachments

• Project2.zip
    32.3 KB · Views: 175
Physics news on Phys.org
So, let's start from the beginning because I don't get any feedback for my problem.

I've managed to simulate one magnet with a diameter of 30mm and a thickness of 10mm. The values that where calculated by Maxwell 3D are the same as the ones in real life.
The next thing I wanted to do was to put another magnet with the same dimensions and material facing the other magnet in attracting position 19mm above the first magnet. But then it already went wrong. When I determined the magnetic induction in Tesla, the calculated value is different from the value measured in practice.

I didn't changed the material properties, but nevertheless the calculated value in Maxwell 3D is different then the one measured in practice.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for helping me out!

1. What is an eddy current transient problem?

An eddy current transient problem is a phenomenon that occurs when a varying magnetic field induces electric currents in a conductive material, resulting in the production of a secondary magnetic field. This can cause unwanted effects and potentially damage the material or surrounding components.

2. How do eddy current transients affect materials?

Eddy current transients can cause heating and energy losses in materials, as well as induce stresses and strains that can lead to mechanical failures. They can also interfere with electronic circuits and cause unwanted noise or signal distortions.

3. What are some common applications of eddy current transient analysis?

Eddy current transient analysis is commonly used in non-destructive testing to detect surface or subsurface defects in conductive materials. It is also used in the design and testing of electrical and electronic components, such as transformers, motors, and generators.

4. How can eddy current transients be mitigated?

Eddy current transients can be mitigated by using materials with low electrical conductivity, such as non-ferrous metals or insulating coatings. They can also be controlled by designing components with specific shapes and configurations to minimize the induced currents.

5. What role do eddy currents play in electromagnetic braking?

Eddy currents play a crucial role in electromagnetic braking systems, where the motion of a conductive material (such as a train or roller coaster) through a magnetic field induces eddy currents that create a resisting force, slowing down the object. This is a common method used in high-speed transportation systems to control speed and stop vehicles safely.