How Do You Calculate Eddy Currents in a Circular Petri Dish?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of calculating eddy currents in a circular petri dish containing a media with charged ions, created by a pulsed magnetic field. The person is looking for guidance or a free software to help with this calculation, and mentions a possible solution involving Laplace's equation. They also share a resource they have found but are still struggling to apply it to their specific problem.
BMEresearch

Homework Statement

I am doing undergraduate research in a Biomedical Engineering Lab. We are working on nervous tissue engineering and looking at how different stimuli effect nerve growth. I am struggling with some of the physics. I am wondering if anyone could teach me how to calculate or direct me to a free software that will calculate eddy currents in a circular petri dish (containing a media with lots of charged ions) created by a pulsed magnetic field. Helmholtz coils will be placed so that a uniform pulsed magnetic field goes through the circular dish perpendicular to the area of the circle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly sure the pulsed magnetic field will create circular currents in the dish. They will go in the direction determined by Lenz's law. Also, it is my understanding that the magnitude of the current will increase as you go radially outward from the center of the dish. I am just not sure how to get values for these currents.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am thinking it might involve solving Laplace's equation, but I am not sure how to go about that. The best resource I have found is http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/Numbers/Math/Mathematical_Thinking/eddy_currents.htm, which provides an overview of current induced in a conductor when a changing magnetic field moves through it. However, I am still having trouble translating this into something that will help me with my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. What are eddy currents?

Eddy currents are swirling currents that are induced in conductive materials when they are exposed to changing magnetic fields. These currents flow in circles and can generate their own magnetic fields, which can oppose the original changing magnetic field.

2. How do eddy currents affect media?

Eddy currents can cause heat to be generated in conductive media, which can lead to losses in efficiency and potential damage. They can also affect the distribution of magnetic fields, which can impact the performance of electronic devices.

3. What causes eddy currents?

Eddy currents are caused by the interaction between a conductive material and a changing magnetic field. This can occur when the material is moved through a magnetic field, when the magnetic field itself is changing, or when an electrical current is applied to the material.

4. How can eddy currents be reduced?

Eddy currents can be reduced by using materials with lower electrical conductivity, such as non-ferromagnetic materials. They can also be minimized by designing materials with specific shapes or layers to direct the flow of eddy currents.

5. Can eddy currents be beneficial?

Yes, eddy currents can have some beneficial applications, such as in electromagnetic induction for power generation and in electromagnetic brakes for slowing down trains and other vehicles. They can also be harnessed for heating and melting processes in industrial applications.