Edexcel A/S and A2 Physics Grade Boundaries: Know the Score

• Thread starter amimeera
  • Start date
In summary, the grade boundaries for A/S and A2 Physics vary from year to year and are subject to scaling. However, when the conversation took place, it was believed that the boundaries were around 75% for an A, 65% for a B, 55% for a C, and 45% for a D. These percentages are based on a point system, with 240 points being awarded for an A at AS level and 480 points for an A at A2 level. However, the actual marks can be scaled, meaning that a mark of 90% could result in a final grade of 100%. This system has been criticized for not accurately discriminating top pupils, especially as exams can be re-s
amimeera
does anyone knw the grade boundaries for a/s annd a2 physics i don't think 80% is an A i was told 70ish%

Physics news on Phys.org
When I did that course (2000-2003), I seem to remember the boundaries being something like 75 for an A, 65 for a B, 55 for a C, 45 for a D. However, those are after your marks have been scaled, so don't count on them being right.

I've since tried to find out properly, they may all be 5% higher than I initially posted (80% for an A), but these are still after scaling.

Isn't it all points now at edexel? I thought that this was how all the AS/A2 exams worked?

OCR (and others I think) award out of 300 points

240 for an A
210 for a B
180 for a C
150 for a D
120 for an E

The above is for AS, and for A2 level these are doubled.

However, actual marks are 'scaled' meaning that with a mark of 90% or so, you can get 100%

Also, at A2 level an A grade goes to those with points totals ranging from 480/600 to 600/600 - Hardly discriminating for top pupils is it, especially so as you can re-sit papers over and over again!

yeh but those are the scaled marks...the actually percent vary's from yr to yr i jus wanted to know an average

It depends what Tony Blair wants the pass rate to be...

1. What are Edexcel grade boundaries?

Edexcel grade boundaries refer to the minimum marks required to achieve a particular grade for a specific subject in an Edexcel exam. These boundaries are set by the exam board and are used to determine the final grade for a student based on their performance in the exam.

2. How are Edexcel grade boundaries determined?

Edexcel grade boundaries are determined by a panel of subject experts and examiners who review the difficulty level of the exam paper and the performance of students in the exam. They take into account factors such as the overall performance of students, the difficulty of the paper, and the historical data to set the grade boundaries.

3. Can Edexcel grade boundaries change from year to year?

Yes, Edexcel grade boundaries can change from year to year depending on the difficulty level of the exam paper and the performance of students. If the exam paper is more challenging than previous years, the grade boundaries may be lowered to ensure students are not unfairly penalized. However, if the exam paper is easier, the grade boundaries may be raised to maintain the same level of difficulty.

4. Do all subjects have the same grade boundaries in Edexcel exams?

No, the grade boundaries for each subject in Edexcel exams are determined separately. This is because each subject may have a different level of difficulty and a different number of students taking the exam, which can impact the overall performance and subsequently the grade boundaries.

5. Where can I find Edexcel grade boundaries?

Edexcel grade boundaries are typically released on the Edexcel website shortly after the exam results are published. They can also be obtained from your school or exam center. It is important to note that grade boundaries may vary for different exam series and subjects.