Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Edge triggered JK flip flop

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am unable to understand the working of a positive edge triggered JK flip flop. In the figure, there are 2 AND gates on the left (one over the other) and there are 2 NOR gates on the right (one over the other). I have used an RS flip flop to construct the JK flip flop. The inputs J and K are denoted as 2 & 5 respectively. Q’ is the complement of Q. The output Q’ is connected to input number 1 of upper AND gate and the output Q is connected to input number 6. The inputs 3 & 4 are connected to the clock pulse.
    Now consider the input condition J=0, K=1 and at this point the clock pulse makes a positive transition. The explanation given in my book is as follows:
    When J is low and K is high, the upper AND gate is disabled, so there is no way to set the flip flop. The only possibility is reset. When Q is high, the lower gate passes a reset pulse as soon as the next clock edge arrives. This forces Q to become low. Therefore, J=0, K=1 means that the next positive transition of the clock resets the flip flop.
    The lower gate sends a reset pulse which means it sends a low voltage signal. Why does this happen? Now, the lower AND gate has 3 inputs. At the time the positive edge of clock pulse arrives, K=1. So, two of the inputs of the lower AND gate is high. Suppose at this instant, Q was high. Then three of the inputs of the lower AND gate is high, which means the output would be high .i.e. S is high. A high at any of the inputs of a NOR gate gives a low output. Hence Q’ is low. Now, Q’ is one of the inputs of the upper NOR gate. As J=0, R=0. Hence the two inputs of the upper NOR gate is low. Hence, Q=1. There is something to do with the third input(1 & 6). I think digital electronics is tough if you don’t have good teacher. Someone please guide me!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2
    Sorry, I forgot to attach the circuit diagram.

Attached Files:

4. Jan 29, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Looks like you are missing a stage or two in your diagram -- maybe that's where the confusion is coming from. I went through HowStuffWorks to find a page about the JKFF for you:

http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/jk_nand_flip-flop.html

BTW, I think I'll move this to the EE forum, since it's not strictly homework, and more of a question about understanding how a general cicuit element curcuit works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?