Edison's Electric Companies: Understanding DC Processes

In summary, Thomas Edison used series wound DC generators, also known as dynamos, to generate electricity for his original electric companies. These generators were driven by coal-fired steam engines and were manufactured by Edison himself. Unlike modern generators, these dynamos did not use external permanent magnets and instead relied on residual magnetism in the iron components to generate electricity. Edison's rival, Nikola Tesla, adopted AC for long distance transmission of power and also pioneered hydroelectric systems.
vectordog
Can anyone describe for me the process that edison originally used to produce DC when he built his original electric companies?

Physics news on Phys.org
There was a commutator on his generator's armature.

vectordog said:
Can anyone describe for me the process that edison originally used to produce DC when he built his original electric companies?

Your question is peculiar. He didn't use a "process". He generated electricity with a device. His generators were series wound DC generators referred to as "dynamos" at the time. The dynamos were driven by coal-fired steam engines. He manufactured all his dynamos himself and often tinkered with the engineering of them.

Series wound dynamos are 'self exiting', meaning, there are no external permanent magnets used. Simply turning the rotor causes electricity to be generated from the small residual magnetism in the iron components. This current is fed through the field coils on its way out of the system which increases the strength of the magnetic field which, in turn, increases the strength of the current generated. It levels off for any given speed of rotation, of course.

Coal fired steam engines was what I was wondering. Thanks. My class was watching a video on Tesla, and we were just curious.

vectordog said:
Coal fired steam engines was what I was wondering. Thanks. My class was watching a video on Tesla, and we were just curious.
Tesla/Westinghouse differed not only in adopting AC for long distance transmission of power but also in being pioneers of hydroelectric systems.

1. What is the significance of Edison's Electric Companies?

Edison's Electric Companies were the first successful electric utilities in the United States. They were responsible for providing electricity to homes and businesses and played a major role in the widespread adoption of electric power.

2. How did Edison's Electric Companies use direct current (DC) processes?

Edison's Electric Companies used direct current (DC) processes to transmit electricity from power plants to customers. DC is a type of electrical current that flows in one direction, and it was the preferred method of electricity distribution during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

3. What were the advantages of Edison's DC processes?

The main advantage of Edison's DC processes was their reliability. DC current is less affected by distance and has a more consistent voltage, making it easier to regulate and control. This made it ideal for providing electricity to small, concentrated areas like cities.

4. Why did Edison's DC processes eventually fall out of favor?

Edison's DC processes eventually fell out of favor due to the limitations of DC current. It was difficult to transmit DC electricity over long distances, and it required expensive infrastructure to maintain. The invention of alternating current (AC) by Nikola Tesla and George Westinghouse proved to be a more efficient and cost-effective way to transmit electricity.

5. Are any of Edison's Electric Companies still in operation today?

No, none of Edison's original electric companies are still in operation today. However, the companies that eventually merged to form Edison's Electric Companies, such as the Edison Illuminating Company, are still in operation under different names. Additionally, the legacy of Edison's companies and his contributions to the development of electric power continue to be recognized and celebrated today.