Editing First Post: No 'Edit' Button - Why?

• Thread starter VortexLattice
  • Start date
In summary, the user is having trouble finding the 'Edit' button for their original post in a thread. They are informed that there is a time limit of 11 hours and 40 minutes to edit posts and that this feature has been abused in the past. The user expresses frustration and suggests asking a mentor for help with editing the post. They also joke about offering their favorite mentor something in return for the help.
VortexLattice
Hi, I'm sure this is my problem rather than a mistake with the site, but when I go to edit the post that I started a thread with, there is no 'Edit' button. There are for my other posts in the thread, but not the first one. Why would this be?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a time limit. You can only edit your posts during the first 11 hours and 40 minutes (=700 minutes) after you made them.

Fredrik said:
There's a time limit. You can only edit your posts during the first 11 hours and 40 minutes (=700 minutes) after you made them.

But...but why? That doesn't really make any sense.

VortexLattice said:
But...but why? That doesn't really make any sense.
Many people have abused the edit feature causing the thread to be come meaningless after a number of kind people took time to help them. The edit window should be sufficiently long for anyone to proofread and correct any errors.

Evo said:
Many people have abused the edit feature causing the thread to be come meaningless after a number of kind people took time to help them. The edit window should be sufficiently long for anyone to proofread and correct any errors.

Arghh...that is so irritating when it happens. Especially when you log back on and it's too late for you to edit your post in response...

Drakkith said:
Arghh...that is so irritating when it happens. Especially when you log back on and it's too late for you to edit your post in response...
That's when you pm your favorite mentor and offer her anything she wants if she will edit your post for you.

Evo said:
That's when you pm your favorite mentor and offer her anything she wants if she will edit your post for you.
Or maybe clarify with another post? Mentors have enough on their plates. However, who am I to say? :shy:

Evo said:
anything she wants

Chocolate chip cookies shipped by FedEx overnight? :cool:

evo said:
that's when you pm your favorite mentor and offer her anything she wants if she will edit your post for you.

Cupcakes for life Evo!

It is good to be the Supreme Lard. :approve:

1. Why is there no 'Edit' button on my first post?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that your post has been marked as spam or has violated community guidelines, in which case editing may not be allowed. Another possibility is that your post has already been edited by someone else, so the 'Edit' button is no longer available.

2. Can I still edit my first post without the 'Edit' button?

Yes, there are a few ways you can still edit your post even without the 'Edit' button. You can try using the 'Undo' or 'Redo' buttons in the text editor, or you can click on the three dots next to your post and select 'Edit' from the dropdown menu.

3. Will my post be permanently locked if there is no 'Edit' button?

No, your post will not be permanently locked. If the 'Edit' button is not available, it may just be a temporary restriction. You can always try again later or reach out to the community moderators for assistance.

4. Can I request for the 'Edit' button to be added to my first post?

Yes, you can reach out to the community moderators and request for the 'Edit' button to be added to your first post. They will review your request and determine if editing is allowed for your post.

5. Is there a time limit for editing the first post?

In most cases, there is no time limit for editing your first post. However, some forums or platforms may have their own rules and restrictions regarding editing. It is best to check the community guidelines or reach out to the moderators for more information.