1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Editions of Topics in Algebra

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone.

I have the first edition of Herstein's Topics in Algebra, which I found for next to nothing*, and I was wondering if it's worth getting the latest edition (2nd edition). Comparing the table of contents at amazon.com, it doesn't seem like too much has changed between the editions, is this right? Well, the amazon blurb says "New edition includes extensive revisions of the material on finite groups and Galois Theory. New problems added throughout".

Thanks.

*$1.50 at a second-hand bookstore. Someone obviously had a very traumatic experience with this book... In my experience 2nd-hand bookstores are usually a lot cheaper than online bookstores, but stock is highly variable of course.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted