Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EDM question

1. Nov 8, 2013 #1
    hi all;
    actually i have done an experiment using die sinking EDM using one copper electrode and three different work piece material copper aluminum and stainless steel to perform a comparative study in term of MRR, TWR and surface roughness. i used ( pulse current 8, 12, 16, 20 and 24 Am.... the pulse off is 7 micro second), so that i expected to have the same result in published papers i have read but i came up with confusing result for example i got unstable tool wear rate and my question is there any justification for this issue. i have attached these figures to have a look and please not that ,2,3 and 4 representing the 13,25,50 and 100 micro second .
    Thanks
    Hamdi

Attached Files:

• 8A.png
      8A.png
      File size:
      6.1 KB
      Views:
    • 12A.png
      12A.png
      File size:
      6.4 KB
      Views:
    • 16A.png
      16A.png
      File size:
      7.1 KB
      Views:
    • 20A.png
      20A.png
      File size:
      5.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2013 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

I would question the measurement accuracy of the tool wear observed.
    You show only 4 points but then fit a high amplitude sine curve, assuming exact data.
    You could repeat part of your experiment to determine variation, then plot the error bars.
    You should check on why your measured results for Al might be sporadic. It could be that the Al has a hard oxide layer that is damaging the die or upsetting the measurement.

4. Nov 9, 2013 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

I think you should run the same Aluminium test at the same four currents, but repeat all tests three or more times.
    That way you will discover how much variation is due to your experimental technique.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook