Finding the Right EDS/EDX System for Nano-Analysis

• Thread starter Tempum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, an EDS/EDX system is an analytical tool used in materials science for identifying the elemental composition of a sample at the nanoscale level. When choosing a system for nano-analysis, important factors to consider include resolution, sensitivity, sample size and type, software capabilities, and cost. This system works by directing electrons onto a sample to emit X-rays, which are then analyzed to identify and quantify elements. It can also be used for quantitative analysis, but is most accurate for high concentrations. The size of the sample can affect analysis time and accuracy, with smaller samples requiring special handling.
Tempum
Hi,

I have to look for a new EDS/EDX system for nano-analysis. We want to inspect structures fabricated by EBID technique of 3 nm diameter (we can imagine them with high voltages, from 5kV to 30kV, without any problem): spatial resolution is thus basilar.

What kind of detector should I consider? A 10mm2 active area or a larger one?

I contacted different companies and they are giving me complitely different suggestions (some of them said I should consider 10mm2 detectors, other at least 60mm2 detectors).

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you using FESEM for imaging the nano particle? What type- cold cathode?

1. What is an EDS/EDX system?

An EDS/EDX system is an analytical tool used in materials science that combines energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS) and X-ray fluorescence (EDX) techniques to identify the elemental composition of a sample. It is commonly used in nano-analysis to determine the chemical makeup of materials at the nanoscale level.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing an EDS/EDX system for nano-analysis?

Some important factors to consider when choosing an EDS/EDX system for nano-analysis include the resolution and sensitivity of the system, the type and size of samples it can analyze, the software and data analysis capabilities, and the overall cost and maintenance requirements.

3. How does an EDS/EDX system work?

An EDS/EDX system works by directing a focused beam of electrons onto a sample, causing the atoms in the sample to emit characteristic X-rays. These X-rays are then collected and analyzed by the system, allowing for the identification and quantification of the elements present in the sample.

4. Can an EDS/EDX system be used for quantitative analysis?

Yes, an EDS/EDX system can be used for quantitative analysis by comparing the intensity of the emitted X-rays to known standards and using mathematical algorithms to determine the concentration of elements in the sample. However, it is important to note that this method is most accurate for elements present in high concentrations.

5. How does the size of the sample affect EDS/EDX analysis?

The size of the sample can affect EDS/EDX analysis in several ways. A larger sample may require a longer analysis time, but it can also provide more accurate results by reducing the effects of surface contamination. Additionally, smaller samples may require special handling and preparation techniques to ensure accurate analysis.