R&D Jobs for EE Majors - No PhD Req'd, No Automotive

• Thread starter kdinser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job R&d
In summary, the individual is an undergraduate student majoring in Electrical Engineering and is considering a career in R&D after graduation. They are not interested in management and are open to starting at an entry level position and working their way up. They are unsure about pursuing a PhD due to their perceived lack of mathematical abilities. They are seeking advice on entry level jobs or paths to R&D without a PhD and are open to relocating or traveling for work. They have been advised that a masters degree is sufficient for most R&D positions in engineering and to choose their first job carefully as it may impact their future opportunities. Maintaining good grades and a strong track record is also important for consideration in research positions.
kdinser
I'm starting my final year as an EE major (undergrad) and I've been thinking lately about the kind of job I'm going to be looking for after graduation. The more I think about it, the more I think that R&D is where I would eventually want to end up. Management isn't for me, I could do it if forced into it, but I wouldn't enjoy it, so I really wouldn't be looking to head up a R&D team, just work on one.

I'm not concerned with where I start off and I don't really care if it takes me 5 to 10 years to get where I want to go, just as long as I can keep making progress towards that goal.

I'm sure I could get a masters in EE if I needed to, but I think a PhD in EE might be beyond my innate mathematical abilities. From what I hear, by the time you’re done with your PhD in EE, you are almost ready to qualify for a masters in mathematics. For example, I understood the concepts taught to me in multivariable calculus, gradients, double and triple integrals, space curves, ect... They made perfect sense conceptually, but actually doing the problems without making stupid mistakes was completely beyond my ability. I always knew my answer was wrong, I just couldn't find the mistake(s) in the time allowed for the test.

So, my question is, what kind of entry level job or path should I be keeping my eye out for if I want to get into R&D without getting a PhD?

BTW, I would like to stay as far away from the automotive industry as possible. I'm not opposed to moving or spending half a dozen years traveling 80% to 90% of my time if needed.

Thanks for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
For engineering, a masters is fine for most R&D jobs. Unlike science, a Phd is not really necessary (but it doesn't hurt!).

Be careful in what your first job is. It will tend to pigeon hole you.

The important thing now is make sure you do real well in your classes and have a good track record. We tend to look at those kind of things when picking out people for research positions.

As an EE major, you have a wide range of options for R&D jobs without requiring a PhD. Many companies have entry-level positions in their R&D departments that are open to recent graduates with a bachelor's degree. These positions often involve working on a team under the guidance of more experienced engineers, which can provide valuable learning opportunities and help you progress towards your goal of working in R&D.

In terms of specific industries, there are many opportunities for R&D in areas such as telecommunications, renewable energy, consumer electronics, and aerospace. These industries often have a high demand for EE expertise and offer a variety of roles for individuals with different skill levels and interests.

Additionally, you may want to consider pursuing a master's degree in EE if you are interested in advancing your knowledge and skills in a particular area. This can help you stand out in the job market and potentially lead to more specialized R&D roles.

As for your concerns about mathematics, it's important to remember that R&D involves a wide range of skills and not just advanced mathematical abilities. Many R&D roles require creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills, which you may already possess as an EE major. So don't let your concerns about math hold you back from pursuing your interests in R&D.

Lastly, if you are looking to avoid the automotive industry, be sure to research the companies and industries you are interested in to ensure they align with your preferences. Networking and connecting with professionals in your desired field can also help you learn more about potential job opportunities and gain valuable insights into the industry.

Overall, my advice would be to keep an open mind, continue to develop your skills and knowledge, and actively seek out opportunities in the R&D field. With your determination and passion for R&D, I am confident you will find a fulfilling career in this field. Best of luck in your final year and beyond!

1. What types of research and development jobs are available for electrical engineering majors without a PhD?

There are a variety of research and development (R&D) jobs available for electrical engineering (EE) majors without a PhD. Some examples include roles in electronics, telecommunications, renewable energy, and software development. These jobs often involve designing, testing, and improving products and technologies in their respective fields.

2. What qualifications do I need to have for R&D jobs in the EE field?

Most R&D jobs in the EE field require at least a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Some may also require specific technical skills or experience, such as knowledge of programming languages or proficiency in using certain software or tools. However, a PhD is typically not required for these positions.

3. Are there opportunities for advancement in R&D jobs for EE majors without a PhD?

Yes, there are opportunities for advancement in R&D jobs for EE majors without a PhD. With experience and proven skills, individuals can move into more senior or specialized roles within their company or industry. Additionally, pursuing further education or certifications can also open up opportunities for advancement.

4. Can I work in R&D for a company outside of the automotive industry with an EE degree?

Yes, there are many R&D jobs available for EE majors in industries outside of automotive. While there are certainly R&D opportunities in the automotive industry, EE graduates can also find roles in industries such as aerospace, healthcare, consumer electronics, and more.

5. What skills and qualities are important for success in R&D jobs for EE majors?

Some important skills and qualities for success in R&D jobs for EE majors include strong problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, creativity, critical thinking, and excellent communication skills. In addition, having a passion for innovation and a curiosity for exploring new technologies and solutions can also be beneficial in this field.