Exploring a Career in Theoretical Physics: Education Choice

In summary: I just want to note that those jobs are extremely competitive, most in finance don't earn nearly that much. And looking at those job listings you see that very few of them earns even one million... Finance attracts many of the brightest and most ambitious minds out there and unless you are one of those you will never...In summary, the average pay for a theoretical physicist is around 120,000 dollars.
Houdini176
I'm currently a Junior in High School and have been thinking about possible career choices. It's definitely tough to find something that offers both money and satisfaction for the job itself. I've always been interested in physics and math, so I thought that theoretical physics would provide that satisfaction. However, from what I've read, the money is a little bit lacking.

So, I guess what I would really like, is to know if it's worth it. Obviously no one can answer this question except myself, but if I have a little more information I can make a better decision. Anyway, what I would like to know is:

What do theoretical physicists do specifically on a daily basis? Is it a routine of teaching and research? Is it tedious, does it ever get "boring" or "dull"?

What is the average pay? I used to want ridiculous amounts of money and the financial sector looked very nice for a while. Anymore, I think that about 120k would be great! It's a far step from the millions I could be making in finance, but is it asking too high for this profession? What is the salary I should expect?

Thanks for any answers. A better picture of being a theoretical physicist would be most appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Houdini176 said:
What is the average pay? I used to want ridiculous amounts of money and the financial sector looked very nice for a while. Anymore, I think that about 120k would be great! It's a far step from the millions I could be making in finance, but is it asking too high for this profession? What is the salary I should expect?
The average pay in finance isn't millions, almost none earns that much no matter what you study! The best reliable income from any undergrad degree comes from engineering and it can give you ~80-100k after a few years. Physics professors can earn 120k but most likely you wouldn't become a professor and it requires a lot of extra years studying.

But yeah, if you expect millions from finance then expecting 120k from physics isn't any less realistic...

Klockan3 said:
The average pay in finance isn't millions, almost none earns that much no matter what you study! The best reliable income from any undergrad degree comes from engineering and it can give you ~80-100k after a few years. Physics professors can earn 120k but most likely you wouldn't become a professor and it requires a lot of extra years studying.

But yeah, if you expect millions from finance then expecting 120k from physics isn't any less realistic...

I meant that you'd make millions after a longer period of time, I can see why that was misleading. Some jobs, however, make at least a million or two. If you don't believe me I came across this site that gave jobs and compensation. How credible the site is is beyond me, but if you believe everything you see on the internet, here's the counter-example: http://www.hrg.net/

Anyway, I really don't want this thread to turn into something about how much jobs in finance make. If there's any other people who disagree with me about it, I'll give up and declare you correct in advance - I don't care.

But thanks for your answer, I appreciate it.

If you're trying to get a lot of money from physics/math, well... you won't get very far. You should only pursue these career options if you want to learn, etc. You can always get high salary jobs from other majors which may be easier as well.
And "settling" for 120k is really not settling at all. I hope that was a joke. That's a pretty high salary in most people's standards (unless you include a lot of insurance such as malpractice, etc.). If you purse a job in finance, don't expect to get "a million or two". That largely depends on luck and skill, which is very rare. I'm sure that after you attend college for a while, you'll understand salaries a bit more.

If one can judge what theoretical physicists do from what the grad students going to theoretical physicists due, it involved quite a bit of WoW.

Houdini176 said:
I meant that you'd make millions after a longer period of time, I can see why that was misleading. Some jobs, however, make at least a million or two. If you don't believe me I came across this site that gave jobs and compensation. How credible the site is is beyond me, but if you believe everything you see on the internet, here's the counter-example: http://www.hrg.net/
I just want to note that those jobs are extremely competitive, most in finance don't earn nearly that much. And looking at those job listings you see that very few of them earns even one million... Finance attracts many of the brightest and most ambitious minds out there and unless you are one of those you will never make millions. You will still make more than the average physicist but not millions.

Here is a description what the Hagan-Ricci group does:
Our mandate is to identify and evaluate structuring, trading and distribution professionals who clearly stand out from their peers. Our clients rely on our ability to source the strongest candidates from associate to managing partner to hire.
http://www.hedgeworld.com/events/20080603/booth.cgi?booth=818

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, how much do theoretical physicists make, on average? A simple number will suffice.

People from finance make a lot, how much specifically doesn't concern me right now. I never said anything about "settling" for 120k, so no, it isn't some sort of joke. I think I said "I think that about 120k would be great!". That's not quite the tone of someone who just "settled" is it? I would just like to know if that number is unrealistic. And once again, I have no interest in the financial field right now. If anyone disagrees about the "millions" comment, sorry, I was thinking about over a longer period of time. I'm sure that someone can become a millionaire by managing their money correctly and being in the financial field, that's what I meant.

The biggest thing that I would like to know that I can't find anywhere is what the job is actually like! What do theoretical physicists do specifically on a daily basis? Is it a routine of teaching and research? Is it tedious, does it ever get "boring" or "dull"? That's what I would like to know. Thanks.

Houdini176 said:
The biggest thing that I would like to know that I can't find anywhere is what the job is actually like! What do theoretical physicists do specifically on a daily basis? Is it a routine of teaching and research? Is it tedious, does it ever get "boring" or "dull"? That's what I would like to know. Thanks.

"Theoretical physicists" are pretty much professors and depending on how the department is where you get a job (IF you get a job), you may be swamped with teaching duties that give you little time for your research or you could find a good department where you have some freedom. Of course, you could unfortunately be like some professors who get tenure, walk into a class and read off a book, then go away never to be seen again. It just depends on where you get hired and what the situation is where you are and how good you are.

You'll be hard pressed to find someone who finds research boring or dull. People give up on fields that they are capable of finding boring long before they finish a 6 year doctorate program in it. The teaching on the other hand... totally up to you. Some people love it, some find it the only obstacle to their true happiness :rofl: .

Why do you want to go into theoretical physics specifically? From what I've read, it seems like the job market, both inside and outside of academia, for experimental physicists is better. I would imagine that it would be easier and more fruitful to get a job in industry after getting a PhD in experimental physics. Keep in mind, I'm a freshman in college and I know nothing of this from personal experience so take it with a grain of salt. But what I can tell you, is that I think you should try to keep an open mind when it comes to physics. If you do end up going after a physics degree, don't rule out experimental physics. I, like you I'm assuming, used to think theoretical physics was much more interesting than experimental, but as I've read up on and heard more about it, I'd say that I'm just as interested, if not more interested, in experimental physics. The media tends to sensationalize theoretical physics, so I would just recommend keeping an open mind.

From talking to grad students, it seems that finding a job outside of a professorship in theoretical physics is hard (not to imply that a professorship is easy to get). Experimental physics is much more marketable. IF you really want an industry/research job, the most marketable branch of physics would be experimental condensed matter physics.

Houdini176 said:
Alright, how much do theoretical physicists make, on average? A simple number will suffice.

No guarantee on how "average" this is. But I just looked up two nuclear physics theorists in my department. One is an assistant professor, and last year he made $80,000 (he just got tenured, so the '10 number will likely be higher). The other is a full professor who's been here 18 years, and he made $107,000 last year.

djeikyb said:
From talking to grad students, it seems that finding a job outside of a professorship in theoretical physics is hard (not to imply that a professorship is easy to get). Experimental physics is much more marketable. IF you really want an industry/research job, the most marketable branch of physics would be experimental condensed matter physics.

Yeah, this is probably true. Based on what I've seen in my department, if you want to get a good job, DO NOT consider anything besides experimental condensed matter. If you go into high energy or astrophysics, you'll end up programming a computer for the rest of your life. And if you become a theorist...yeah, probably the same thing. Experimental CMP is a pathway to all kinds of nifty jobs. I know people who've ended up working for hardware-based companies designing hard drives, OLEDs, and other such stuff.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a pissed off astrophysics grad student, so don't take my rantings too seriously. :biggrin:

Astro? Poor fella...

lol jk.

Why do so many study astrophysics? Really strange imo, I never found it interesting at all.

Really? I think astro is fascinating, but I am still leaning towards plasma physics.

It's definitely tough to find something that offers both money and satisfaction for the job itself. I've always been interested in physics and math, so I thought that theoretical physics would provide that satisfaction.

Seriously, if you're interested in physics and math, and want a very handsome salary, pick an engineering discipline and have at it. Engineering applies physics and mathematics, and is very well paid. We engineers are also becoming less and less common, so there's more demand for your skills.

Angry Citizen said:
We engineers are also becoming less and less common, so there's more demand for your skills.

Really? I was under the impression that engineering was booming.

^That.

How are engineers becoming less common? Pretty sure there are more engineering students at OU then any other type of student. Literally hundreds of times more engineers than physicists. There's what, maybe 12 physics majors in my class?

djeikyb said:
How are engineers becoming less common? Pretty sure there are more engineering students at OU then any other type of student. Literally hundreds of times more engineers than physicists. There's what, maybe 12 physics majors in my class?

I think engineering is the current "liberal arts." Many people looking at starting salary charts and going for engineering majors. I think I'll just stick to physics and build a farm somewhere. :)

Some universities also offer Engineering Physics, which is sort of a bastardization of the two and leaves you open to decide your future career path.

1. What type of education is required to become a theoretical physicist?

In order to become a theoretical physicist, you will typically need at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a closely related field. However, most theoretical physicists also go on to earn a master's degree and/or a PhD in theoretical physics.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to pursue a career in theoretical physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for a career in theoretical physics. Theoretical physicists use complex mathematical equations to describe and understand physical phenomena, so a background in advanced mathematics is crucial.

3. What skills are important for a career in theoretical physics?

In addition to strong mathematical skills, theoretical physicists also need to have excellent critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. They must be able to think abstractly and creatively, and have a strong foundation in physics concepts and theories.

4. What opportunities are available for theoretical physicists?

Theoretical physicists can work in a variety of fields, including academia, research and development, government agencies, and private industry. They may also have the opportunity to collaborate with other scientists and participate in conferences and symposiums.

5. How long does it take to become a theoretical physicist?

The time it takes to become a theoretical physicist can vary depending on individual circumstances. Typically, it takes about 4 years to earn a bachelor's degree, 2-3 years to earn a master's degree, and an additional 3-5 years to earn a PhD. However, some individuals may take longer to complete their education or may choose to pursue additional research or postdoctoral positions before entering the workforce.