1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Education guidance needed

1. Mar 24, 2014 #1
    Hey guys, i am new at this so i am just going in straight. I am wondering what is the difference in pure/applied/engineering physics and where they can lead me in life and probably how i get there? hoping for a reply. Thx in advance. This is for education purpose :D

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2014 #2
    Well I'll try to answer in a very general way. I study pure physics, when you take this route, by the time you are in third year like me the course becomes extremely mathematical and abstract. You delve further into the realms of quantum mechanics, particle physics, and solid state and the direct applications for all of this knowledge you're obtaining are quite often not obvious at all. On the other hand if you take the engineering route, the course will be less mathematical and focussed on applications. For example you will learn about the MOSFET and its construction and focus less on the full derivation and theory underlying its working. You're still doing physics though, so still expect a lot of maths, I just doubt that you would have so much focus on group theory etc.

In summary (my opinion) you will have a deeper understanding of natures behaviour by taking pure physics, but inmost cases you will be less prepared to use this understanding to think of a 'useful' application for the near future.

4. Apr 4, 2014 #3
    thank you for the advice

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook