Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Education in the US

1. Nov 28, 2005 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I was looking for an appropriate thread in which to post this but didn't find one where this wouldn't get buried. The are allusions to education problems in the US, particularly with respect to the quality. This is very disturbing in my opinion.

Students Ace State Tests, but Earn D's From U.S.
    By SAM DILLON, November 26, 2005
    Between now and 2014 could mean half a generation getting substandard education, assuming the state achieve any satisfactory level of proficiency.
    This is very worrisome.
    It would seem that the NCLB has backfired. The states have undermined the intent of the law.
    I would prefer rigorous standards.
    There is need for a Federal Standard, because any child in the US should be able to qualify for admission to a university program anywhere in the US. Certainly children in poorer states will suffer if those states fail to provide adequate resources.

Full article is at http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/26/education/26tests.html (registration required, article is free until Saturday, Dec 3).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2005 #2
    100%??!! Very few things in today's society can come close to reaching 100% proficiency. There are students who will not try at all, and the quota will never be met. The only way there can be 100% proficiency is if standards are dumbed down so much that everyone passes. But that leads us back to where we started... :uhh:

4. Nov 29, 2005 #3
    OmG, I am absolutely speechless....I cannot overstress the importance of education.

Like Motai said the Federal test must already have been so easy that there is a realistic hope of 100% pass rate.....

Do you think making the school children wear uniforms and identical school bags, forbidding them to wear make-up will help? As it is in HK, I hear some pre-school kids, kindergarteners, are learning English words like xylophone and (a kind of grass-eating) dinosaurs.

5. Nov 29, 2005 #4
    Yeah my old math teachers absolutely hate the no child left behind act; in fact, one of my teachers told me, after I told him I was majoring in math ed, that he hopes by the time I become a teacher this no child left behind crap would be over with. Not only is the 100% mark passing a dream, but also, remember, to get 100% to pass, you have to have 100% take the exam, and at the school my dad teaches at, attendence is the biggest problem. The school's prinicipal has actually said that he will give away a car to a randomly selected student with perfect attendence.

6. Nov 29, 2005 #5
    Thank you for the post, Astronuc. I believe that in addition to creating easy tests, teachers are more likely to teach students how to take the test, you know, rather than teaching the material in a rigorous way.

Incidentally, I found the article at this link as well, and this site does not require registration:

http://www.amhersttimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=348&Itemid=27

(And this report gives me a bit of peace for maintaining high standards during my teaching stint, despite ongoing cries from the students that the class shouldn't be so hard. It's hard to have students tell you this repeatedly, and reassuring whenever I see (invarably) that their interests are better served by high academic standards. )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?