1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Education Majors

1. Oct 26, 2007 #1
    This may be an very bad over generalization. But, has anyone noticed that say a mathematics education major is pretty bad at math compared to the typical mathematics major. I have few questions about this

(1) If the above is true, what is the necessity of having a education degree or a teachers certification?

(2) Shouldn't schools be interested in getting people who know a lot of mathematics over people who know some stuff about education?

(3) Why don't you see a lot of really talented people wanting to teach high school?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2007 #2
    1)I'm not sure if it is true.
    2)No matter how smart you are, it doesn't mean you have the ability to convey the ideas you are trying to teach efficiently. So I rather have a person who knows the stuff okay, but can teach me what I need to know, over a guy who knows the stuff VERY well, but couldn't teach me anything.
    3)low pay? Lack of interest?

4. Oct 26, 2007 #3
    Taking less upper level math courses does not imply that person is bad at math. Mathematics education majors take a diverse selection of math courses and courses like number theory, euclidean geometry, and the history of math, which is more than enough information to completely understand high school mathematics. They take education courses to help them become better teachers.

5. Oct 26, 2007 #4
    YES!!!!! I have found that most math ed majors are terrible at upper level math. Some were so bad that I wondered how they could justify their major. I have, though, met a few math ed majors that were pretty good at math, but most seem to eventually change their major to math (I can think of at least 4, myself included).

However, knowing math is almost irrelevant to teaching high school mathematics. The thing you need to know is how to manage a class; knowing an epsilon-delta proof is not going to help you deal with some 14 year old brat that keeps interrupting class.

I decided that I did not want to be a teacher because I do not like the schedule (working 60+ hours a week for a semester, getting a break, working 60 hours a week, then summer off; I would prefer to work a constant 40 hours a week). Also, I don't think I want to deal with all the administrative BS and the annoying kids.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?