Education Proverbs

1. Hi all,

A group of fellow students and myself are nearing the end of the educational year and we would like to thank the phyiscs teacher thas has been our guide for the past three years. The idea is to buy her a book as well as a pen with an engraved proverb that will express our gratitude. The problem is that it has to be short to fit on the pen... and we're having a bit of a hard time finding something both short and profound. The subject needs to be education, and teaching.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Chen

2. jcsd
  3. Njorl

Njorl 875
    Science Advisor

"The important thing is not to stop questioning."
    -Albert Einstein

Sort and sweet.

Njorl

4. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess my signature wouldn't be a good one?
    Or maybe it would be extra good for a teacher ;)?
    I guess the teacher might not take it as a compliment :P

5. I think we might end up borrowing something from the Book of Proverbs, seeing as she is religious too.

Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate it.

6. Web Search?

Sorry, but I don't know any. I do have a suggestion for how you could go about obtaining some though. Why don't you search for it on Google or Ask Jeeves or one of those other search engines. Those are bound to help at least a little. Best of luck. :smile:

7. "Educating is reciprocating love"

"Intelligence teaches to learn"

"Teachers fuel Imaginations"

"Minds by (insert name of teacher)"

et al......

8. how's about....

why don't we try "In Silent Praise to the one who struggled with us, to improve us"

..as 'silent praise' is appropriate, to a pen...'silent words' spoken, when read....

9. jimmy p

jimmy p 578
    Gold Member

"knowledge is power"

10. Tsu

Tsu 638
    Gold Member

"illigitimati non carborundum"?

11. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't use illegal carburetors? :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

My suggestion:
    Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
    --William Butler Yeats

12. Tsu

Tsu 638
    Gold Member

Hardly, dear. :rolleyes:

Loosly translated, it's 'don't let the b*stards grind you down'. :wink:

13. "Woman by day, she-male by night."

14. "Thanks! for filling in the blanks"

"Knowledge is power, Thanks for being it's purveyor for us"

.....aaaaannnd......

15. "the truth is out there"

16. "Hot for teacher." ~David Lee Roth

17. "The universe is like a safe to which there is a combination -- but the combination is locked up in the safe."
    -- Peter DeVries

18. I'd put something along the lines of:
    I've had 73 different teachers since starting school and only thought enough of one to get them a pen. or 72 didn't get anything.
    only more poetically

19. Thanks tribdog, but in fact we did give a pen to our history teacher last year. :smile:

20. Then the question is why?
    is it
    a)your teachers are THAT good
    b) your last name is Ballpoint and you receive royalties
    c) you feel guilty for stealing that No. 2 pencil during SATs and want to clear your conscience and then some
    or
    d)brown nosing

I've had some good teachers in the past but I've never given them anything other than a hard time. I gave a teacher's aide an STD and I'm pretty sure I gave my Home Ec teacher a coronary but that's about it. Oh unless you count the tuna fish sandwich I left in my Spanish teacher's desk over spring break.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2004
  21. I guess it's (a). My name isn't Pilot, I brought my own pencils for the SATs and by the time she gets our grades would be set in stone. We just want to give something back because she was a great teacher and she's the main reason I'm going to study physics and not computer science or something in university.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?