Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Educative chat rooms.

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    I am looking for Educative physics and math chat rooms that welcomes beginners and questions I found some on irc but they are either too advanced or have people who don't welcome mistakes. Anyone knows a chat room with good online community?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No idea about chat rooms, I know only a good forum.

4. Sep 13, 2010 #3
    I am assuming you are referring to a forum besides physics forum right? I am looking for something that isn't based on homework help but on tutoring and sharing ideas.

5. Sep 13, 2010 #4

Borek

PF is not based just on homework help. While this is an important part of the forum, you are also welcomed to ask your questions about physics in general. You may want to consult forum rules to know what kinds of ideas can be shared freely and which will get you into troubles.

6. Sep 13, 2010 #5
    What you are asking is analogous to visiting Chanel HQ and asking where you can find the best perfumes. :biggrin:

7. Sep 13, 2010 #6
    so it is ok to write posts that doesn't follow :1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution"
    pattern? because I have trouble with this a lot of times and end up not doing it especially if it was not a text book question but a general question.

8. Sep 13, 2010 #7
    Then you are free to post your question in one of the many other forums we offer here. HW help is just a slice.

9. Sep 13, 2010 #8
    Why doesn't physics forum have a chat room? does physics forums ever plan to provide tutoring services?(for fees)

10. Sep 13, 2010 #9
    We have chat open all day on Sundays. PF does not have any plans to provide paid tutoring services. There are thousands of generous members who are willing to help you for free.

11. Sep 13, 2010 #10

Borek

Just note that chat is a social event, we DON'T speak about physics there.

You can create your own room and try to invite someone, it may work. But the main room is just a chit chat.

12. Sep 13, 2010 #11
    Yes I know but I mean like tutoring covering a full course not one question, It is just a suggestion but if you are willing to have tutors that tutor people through like algebra one or basics of physics then it would be really great (just a suggestion)

13. Sep 13, 2010 #12

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, in any of our subforums where that pattern does not automatically appear when you post. For example, here:

That pattern only appears in the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152"

We prefer our forum format over a live chat because a forum makes a permanent record of any discussion. Then others can view the discussion later at any time, and can offer more help, correct errors, etc. Also, I don't think a live chat could be moderated as effectively.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  14. Sep 14, 2010 #13

Borek

Plus, someone asking question on chat when there is no one there (and at some times of the day that would be typical situation) won't get any answer. Same question posted at forum will usually get an answer, just several hours later. Better late than never.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook