Educative Physics & Math Chat Rooms: Welcoming Beginners

• Thread starter madah12
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about finding online chat rooms for physics and math discussions. The person was looking for a beginner-friendly chat room with a good online community. They were referred to a physics forum that also offers chat on Sundays, but it does not have plans to provide paid tutoring services. The preference for forums over live chat was also discussed, as it allows for a permanent record of discussions and effective moderation.
madah12
I am looking for Educative physics and math chat rooms that welcomes beginners and questions I found some on irc but they are either too advanced or have people who don't welcome mistakes. Anyone knows a chat room with good online community?

Physics news on Phys.org
No idea about chat rooms, I know only a good forum.

Borek said:
No idea about chat rooms, I know only a good forum.

I am assuming you are referring to a forum besides physics forum right? I am looking for something that isn't based on homework help but on tutoring and sharing ideas.

PF is not based just on homework help. While this is an important part of the forum, you are also welcomed to ask your questions about physics in general. You may want to consult forum rules to know what kinds of ideas can be shared freely and which will get you into troubles.

madah12 said:
I am assuming you are referring to a forum besides physics forum right? I am looking for something that isn't based on homework help but on tutoring and sharing ideas.

What you are asking is analogous to visiting Chanel HQ and asking where you can find the best perfumes. :biggrin:

so it is ok to write posts that doesn't follow :

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

"
pattern? because I have trouble with this a lot of times and end up not doing it especially if it was not a textbook question but a general question.

madah12 said:
because I have trouble with this a lot of times and end up not doing it especially if it was not a textbook question but a general question.

Then you are free to post your question in one of the many other forums we offer here. HW help is just a slice.

Why doesn't physics forum have a chat room? does physics forums ever plan to provide tutoring services?(for fees)

madah12 said:
Why doesn't physics forum have a chat room? does physics forums ever plan to provide tutoring services?(for fees)

We have chat open all day on Sundays. PF does not have any plans to provide paid tutoring services. There are thousands of generous members who are willing to help you for free.

Just note that chat is a social event, we DON'T speak about physics there.

You can create your own room and try to invite someone, it may work. But the main room is just a chit chat.

Yes I know but I mean like tutoring covering a full course not one question, It is just a suggestion but if you are willing to have tutors that tutor people through like algebra one or basics of physics then it would be really great (just a suggestion)

madah12 said:
so it is ok to write posts that doesn't follow :

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

"
pattern?
Yes, in any of our subforums where that pattern does not automatically appear when you post. For example, here:

That pattern only appears in the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152"

We prefer our forum format over a live chat because a forum makes a permanent record of any discussion. Then others can view the discussion later at any time, and can offer more help, correct errors, etc. Also, I don't think a live chat could be moderated as effectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redbelly98 said:
Also, I don't think a live chat could be moderated as effectively.

Plus, someone asking question on chat when there is no one there (and at some times of the day that would be typical situation) won't get any answer. Same question posted at forum will usually get an answer, just several hours later. Better late than never.

1. What is the purpose of Educative Physics & Math Chat Rooms?

The purpose of Educative Physics & Math Chat Rooms is to provide a welcoming and supportive space for beginners to learn and ask questions about physics and math. It is a community of educators and learners who come together to share knowledge and resources.

2. How can I join the chat rooms?

To join the chat rooms, you can simply click on the "Join Chat" button on the website. You will be prompted to create a username and password, and then you can start chatting with other members.

3. Are the chat rooms moderated?

Yes, the chat rooms are moderated by experienced educators who ensure that the conversations are respectful and on-topic. Any inappropriate behavior or language will not be tolerated.

4. Can I ask any question related to physics and math in the chat rooms?

Yes, you can ask any question related to physics and math in the chat rooms. Our community is made up of experts and beginners, so no question is too basic or too advanced.

5. Are there any resources available in the chat rooms?

Yes, our chat rooms have a resource section where members can share helpful materials such as study guides, practice problems, and online tutorials. You can also request specific resources from other members.