Edward Lorenz RIP: Father of Chaos Theory Dies at 90

• News
  • Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lorenz Rip
In summary, the father of chaos theory, Lorenz, passed away at the age of 90. There was a typo in the title, but it has been corrected by a moderator. The conversation also touched upon the impact of past scientists on our current quality of life and recommendations for a popular book on chaos theory.
turbo
Gold Member
I didn't know where to put this notice, but the father of chaos theory died yesterday at his home in Cambridge at the age of 90.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

more sad news...

maybe we can correct the typo on Lorenz ?

oops! I should check my typing when posting names. Firefox underlines them as spelling errors because they're not in the spelling dictionary, and I just ignore them instead of checking. Hopefully, a mod will correct the title.

I will never forget how excited I was when, as a student, I was exploring for the first time the Lorenz attractor.

edit
I stole this picture of the Lorenz attractor in another forum. :biggrin:
Beautiful.

Attachments

• Lorenz_attr.gif
    Lorenz_attr.gif
    169.5 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:
It is indeed sad news. I guess that a consequence of us living when we do is that so many great minds in science did their thing so long ago that one can't expect them to be around that much longer. On the other hand, a lot of them, either directly or through spin-offs from their discoveries, are responsible for their own longevity and our current quality of life. As an example, the boost in medical science resultant of NASA space medicine research.

Thanks for fixing the title, Doc Al.

For those who might be interested in a popular-level introduction to chaos, "Chaos" by James Gleick is quite enjoyable.

turbo-1 said:
"Chaos" by James Gleick is quite enjoyable.

My cousin gave me that book several years ago. Thanks for reminding me; I'll give it another read.

1. Who was Edward Lorenz?

Edward Lorenz was an American mathematician and meteorologist who is widely known as the "Father of Chaos Theory". He is best known for his pioneering work on the concept of the butterfly effect and his contributions to the field of chaotic systems.

2. What is chaos theory?

Chaos theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the behavior of complex and nonlinear systems. It explores how seemingly random and unpredictable behavior can arise from simple and deterministic equations, and how small changes in initial conditions can lead to significant differences in the long-term outcome of a system.

3. What is the butterfly effect?

The butterfly effect is a term coined by Edward Lorenz to describe the sensitive dependence on initial conditions in chaotic systems. It suggests that a small change in the initial conditions of a system can result in vastly different outcomes in the long run. The name comes from the idea that the flapping of a butterfly's wings in one part of the world could potentially cause a tornado in another part of the world.

4. What are some applications of chaos theory?

Chaos theory has applications in a wide range of fields, including physics, biology, economics, and social sciences. It has been used to study weather patterns, stock market fluctuations, heart rhythms, and population dynamics. It also has practical applications in cryptography, data encryption, and computer science.

5. What is Edward Lorenz's legacy?

Edward Lorenz's groundbreaking work on chaos theory has had a profound impact on many fields of study. His research has helped us better understand and predict complex systems, and has led to the development of new theories and methods in mathematics and science. His legacy continues to inspire scientists and mathematicians around the world to explore the fascinating world of chaos and complexity.