EE and DIY Websites -- Arduino

In summary, you can find websites that provide projects that are more creative and less about reproducing what others have done.
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello,

I finally now own an Arduino UNO with the https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-starter-kit and having completed all the projects in the book am looking for ways to extend myself with Arduino. I have had a look at many DIY websites (makesine, hackster.io, diyhacking...) but they have quite limited Arduino projects. Does anybody know more of such websites?
Thank you!

P.S. I am a beginner...

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not about reproducing what others did, it is about being creative and using what you have learned to design new things. That's where the fun begins.

Likes Butter and ISamson
Borek said:
It is not about reproducing what others did, it is about being creative and using what you have learned to design new things. That's where the fun begins.
Couldn't agree more!

@ISamson, since you said EE in your title, which EE projects have you completed from the book?
You can visit various websites, pick the project title of your choice and Do It Yourself; circuit design, coding and everything. Don't see how they've done it. Try to develop your own design. It may turn out to be the exact same design as theirs, but it doesn't matter because you'll have learned something new.

ISamson said:
P.S. I am a beginner...
Your profile page says you are 12 (really?:wink:), so you should not try anything involving ac mains.

Likes ISamson
Borek said:

Yes, I share you opinion, but firstly (as a beginner) i need to learn basic functions, Arduino abilities and so on.

ISamson said:
firstly (as a beginner) i need to learn basic functions

ISamson said:
having completed all the projects in the book

Either, either. If you have completed all the projects you already should know quite a bit.

No idea what is in the starter kit you used nor what is in the book, but I bet they contain enough elements and information to let you - for example - make a clock based on the delay() function and on displaying the hour in the binary format using LEDs. Nobody will be able to read it but you. If you don't have enough LEDs for the full display (can you find out how many would be needed? say, for 23:59 format?), perhaps just displaying 12h format and changing the minutes display every 5 minutes will be enough.

I have a clock that beeps every fifteen minutes, and it beeps in such a way I know what hour it is. All you need to make such a clock is a buzzer.

delay() based clocks are highly inaccurate, but DS3231 based RTC using I2C protocol (google all these names/abbreviations, you will learn quite a few things) will cost you just a few bucks. The I2C library is very simple to use and you already have it on your disk.

Likes ISamson
In the link you posted the following projects are shown. It also includes a book of projects. If you have already completed them, then modify and improve them. Try to combine two of them?

Look around your house and try to find something to emulate?
make a servo system that opens your door when you hit a button, better yet, a servo system that opens your door when you press a button on your phone

• 01 GET TO KNOW YOUR TOOLS an introduction to the basics
  • 02 SPACESHIP INTERFACE design the control panel for your starship
  • 03 LOVE-O-METER measure how hot-blooded you are
  • 04 COLOR MIXING LAMP produce any color with a lamp that uses light as an input
  • 05 MOOD CUE clue people into how you're doing
  • 06 LIGHT THEREMIN create a musical instrument you play by waving your hands
  • 07 KEYBOARD INSTRUMENT play music and make some noise with this keyboard
  • 08 DIGITAL HOURGLASS a light-up hourglass that can stop you from working too much
  • 09 MOTORIZED PINWHEEL a colored wheel that will make your head spin
  • 10 ZOETROPE create a mechanical animation you can play forward or reverse
  • 11 CRYSTAL BALL a mystical tour to answer all your tough questions
  • 12 KNOCK LOCK tap out the secret code to open the door
  • 13 TOUCHY-FEEL LAMP a lamp that responds to your touch
  • 14 TWEAK THE ARDUINO LOGO control your personal computer from your Arduino
  • 15 HACKING BUTTONS create a master control for all your devices!

Likes ISamson
ISamson said:
Yes, I share you opinion, but firstly (as a beginner) i need to learn basic functions, Arduino abilities and so on.
Arduino is already way way past the basics. I am quite sure you have skipped over some of the basics based on your postings.

Thank you.
I have also thought that I could disassemble some electronic devices at home and "hack" them with my Arduino and make them work how I like. this would be quite sophisticated, but I will firstly experiment with quite simple devices.
I have already made an electromagnetic field detector with Arduino, but I had trouble with the code (which I then solved) and I think it turned out well. I have tried to make a kitchen timer, but I had big problems with the code and did not have enough space on my tiny breadboard.:frown:

donpacino said:
Try to combine two of them?
Yes this is a very good idea, I will experiment.

Borg said:
instructables.com has a lot of projects.

Tech section:
http://www.instructables.com/technology/

Thank you, Borg. Good website. I will thoroughly dig it out.

Borek said:
but DS3231 based RTC using I2C protocol (google all these names/abbreviations, you will learn quite a few things) will cost you just a few bucks.

My school library has these (I am friends with the librarian :smile:) and they can let me borrow them for a few days. (It is always very nice being friends with librarians!).

Borek said:
No idea what is in the starter kit you used nor what is in the book, but I bet they contain enough elements and information to let you - for example - make a clock based on the delay() function and on displaying the hour in the binary format using LEDs. Nobody will be able to read it but you. If you don't have enough LEDs for the full display (can you find out how many would be needed? say, for 23:59 format?), perhaps just displaying 12h format and changing the minutes display every 5 minutes will be enough.

Interesting idea...

Thank you, guys!

ISamson said:
I have tried to make a kitchen timer, but I had big problems with the code and did not have enough space on my tiny breadboard.

That's exactly a case where showing what you did and asking for a help was a good solution.

1. What is EE and DIY Websites?

EE stands for electrical engineering and refers to the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. DIY (do-it-yourself) websites are online platforms that allow users to create and customize their own websites without the need for advanced coding knowledge.

2. What is Arduino?

Arduino is an open-source electronics platform that consists of hardware and software components. It is designed for creating interactive electronic projects and is popular among DIY enthusiasts, artists, and professionals alike.

3. How can Arduino be used in EE and DIY Websites?

Arduino can be used in EE and DIY websites to create interactive and customizable elements, such as sensors, displays, and actuators. These elements can be integrated into websites using code and can enhance user experience and engagement.

4. Do I need coding experience to use Arduino in EE and DIY Websites?

While having coding experience can be helpful, it is not necessary to use Arduino in EE and DIY websites. Arduino has a user-friendly interface and a large community that provides tutorials and resources for beginners. With some practice and patience, anyone can learn to use Arduino for their projects.

5. Are there any limitations to using Arduino in EE and DIY Websites?

One limitation of using Arduino in EE and DIY websites is that it may not be suitable for complex or high-traffic websites. Additionally, since Arduino is primarily a hardware platform, it may not have all the features and functionalities of a traditional website building platform. However, it can still be a valuable tool for creating interactive and unique elements on websites.