Maximizing Power Efficiency: Solving an EE Design Problem

• Thread starter xxcodexx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design Ee
In summary, the voltage at the house is 220 ( angle 0 ); this is supplied by an electrical sub station 10km away. The transmission lines have an impedance of 0.2+j1.6 Ohm. If the voltage at the house is 220 ( angle 0 ), then the power factor at the house is 1.33. If the voltage at the house is 240 ( angle 45 ), then the power factor at the house would be 0.67. To achieve a unit power factor, the reactor would need to be put in parallel with the house.
xxcodexx

Homework Statement

your house is supplied by a voltage from an elcectrical sub station 10km away from your house. the transmition lines have an impedance of 0.2+j1.6 Ohm, if the voltage at your house is 220 ( angle 0 ):
1-calculate Vi and Vs .
2- calculate the power factor at your house.
3- find the value of the reactor that when put in parallel with your house will result in a unit power factor.

Best Wishes

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried ? Please show us your work.

I don't understand what Vi is that you are supposed to calculate if they have told you that the voltage at your house is Vs?

Without doing any work, you should investigate Thevenin Equivalent Circuits which should produce all of the answers that you seek.

sanadan said:
I don't understand what Vi is that you are supposed to calculate if they have told you that the voltage at your house is Vs?

Without doing any work, you should investigate Thevenin Equivalent Circuits which should produce all of the answers that you seek.

This is a transmission line problem. The regular thevenin doesn't really work since the input impedence depends on your location on the line.

You are likely right, it has been a long time since I looked at transmission line theory. I assumed this was a more elementary power transmission problem.

Although, having said that, I did a work term at a power distribution company and the entire grid is modeled as a thevenin right up to the substation (transmission to distribution step down transformer (144kv to 24.9kv).

It is true that thevenin can be applied but it is not straightforward in this case. If you removed the source voltage are where just looking into the circuit thevenin works amazingly. However, if you are "in" the circuit thevenin is not so straightfoward since the impedence depends on the line( lossless, lossy etc) and your location. The input impedence equation involves ugly hyperbolic trig functions.

Yah. This is all coming back to me now that I've wiki'd it. But, I haven't seen it since uni 10 years ago so I'm no help to the OP. Hopefully our discussion has at least gave him food for thought.

1. What is an "EE design problem"?

An "EE design problem" refers to a design challenge or issue that arises in the field of electrical engineering. It can involve the design and development of electronic devices, circuits, systems, or components.

2. How do you approach solving an "EE design problem"?

The approach to solving an "EE design problem" may vary depending on the specific problem, but generally involves identifying the problem, researching possible solutions, developing a design concept, creating a prototype, and testing and refining the design until it meets the desired specifications.

3. What are some common types of "EE design problems"?

Some common types of "EE design problems" include power supply design, circuit design, PCB layout, signal processing, and control system design. These can range from simple problems to complex, multi-disciplinary challenges.

4. What skills are necessary to successfully solve an "EE design problem"?

Solving an "EE design problem" requires a strong foundation in electrical engineering principles, as well as knowledge of relevant software and tools. Problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity are also important skills, along with the ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with team members.

5. How important is testing and validation in the "EE design problem" process?

Testing and validation are critical steps in the "EE design problem" process as they ensure that the design meets the desired specifications and functions as intended. It also allows for any necessary adjustments or improvements to be made before the final product is produced.