Need Help with Electronic Devices in Electrophysiology Experiments?

• Thread starter kingdomof
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary: So you're saying that I should read a book about electronics? Sounds like a good idea. I'll check out the library to see if they have it.In summary, an electrophysiologist works with equipment like EKG, ECG, EMG, and others, and troubleshoots electrical connections to the body. They can learn a lot by reading a book about electronics.
kingdomof
Considering the amount of electronic knowledge needed for an electrophysiologist is relatively high compared to the amount found in coursework for the average Biology and Biochemistry major, would anyone give me some advice on how to supplement my education with some fundamental ideas that can help me understand and troubleshoot the electronic devices used in such experiments?

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you give us a pointer or two to information about what an electrophysiologist does? I don't think many of us are familiar with that.

Well, other than the very obvious finding of electro-chemical gradients, an electrophysiologist troubleshoots wiring and the influence of EMFs on a reading electrode.

kingdomof said:
Well, other than the very obvious finding of electro-chemical gradients, an electrophysiologist troubleshoots wiring and the influence of EMFs on a reading electrode.

So what you're saying is that I need to google it for myself. Okay, whatever.

wikipedia.org has a pretty good intro:

wikipedia.org said:
Electrophysiology is the study of the electrical properties of biological cells and tissues. It involves measurements of voltage change or electrical current flow on a wide variety of scales from single ion channel proteins to whole tissues like the heart. In neuroscience, it includes measurements of the electrical activity of neurons, and particularly action potential activity.

more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrophysiology

Okay, so you work with equipment like EKG, ECG, EMG, etc., and especially the electrical connections to the body. Got it.

You can pick up a good basic knowledge of electronics by self-studying with the book, "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. This will take you from the basics up through opamp circuits, basic digital circuits, and more. One strength of this book is that it lists practical components that you would actually use in real circuits, instead of just using ideal components and leaving out the real-world considerations. We had a thread about the book a while back here in the EE forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178516

Take a look at a copy at your local technical library, to see if it might be a good learning resource for you.

Thanks!

1. What is EE for electrophysiology?

EE stands for electroencephalography, which is a non-invasive technique used to record the electrical activity of the brain. It involves placing electrodes on the scalp to detect and measure the brain's electrical signals.

2. How is EE used in electrophysiology?

EE is used in electrophysiology to study the electrical activity of the brain and its relationship to various behaviors, thoughts, and emotions. It can also be used to diagnose and monitor neurological disorders and to guide brain surgeries.

3. What are the advantages of using EE in electrophysiology?

EE has several advantages in electrophysiology, including its non-invasive nature, high temporal resolution, and ability to record brain activity from different regions simultaneously. It is also relatively inexpensive and safe for participants.

4. What are the limitations of using EE in electrophysiology?

EE also has some limitations, such as its inability to provide precise spatial information about the brain's activity. It is also affected by external factors, such as muscle movements and environmental noise, which can interfere with the recorded signals.

5. How is EE different from other techniques used in electrophysiology?

EE is different from other electrophysiology techniques, such as intracranial electrodes and magnetoencephalography (MEG), in terms of its non-invasive nature and its ability to record brain activity from the surface of the scalp. It also has a different level of spatial and temporal resolution compared to other techniques.