1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EE Internship

1. Jun 13, 2007 #1
    Hi, I just finished my sophomore year in EE and I had a quick question: how many students get internships after their sophomore year?

Currently, I have a overall 3.2 GPA overall, and a 3.7 GPA in my EE & CS classes (about 5 of them so far). I applied to a lot of internships, got a few calls, even a few on-site ones, though didn't get any. I have a few questions:

1) I might have a good chance with this one company, that focuses on materials engineering (alumnium). However, the division I would be working in would be the "Packaging" division. It packages things like pharmaceuticals, beauty products, and other miscellaenous things. It's more of an industrial engineering internship... even though its not really related to my field OR really not that interesting to me, should I take it?

I'm currently doing research (more biomedical engineering oriented) with my school, but I'm unsure what to do. I'd rather be doing things, but it's not in a company setting. Any advice?

2) I'm also taking a summer class, Calculus III. It ends in two weeks. I have two months, basically ONLY doing research. I just e-mailed a CS professor to help TA a class, so I might do that (not to put on my resume, but I love tutoring). What else can I do to make this a productive summer? I've also picked up a book on PERL, to learn on my own.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2007 #2

ranger

Gold Member

Internships are usually done in the junior year. You'll need at least some background the field you are going into, so five courses won't cut. Just hold out till the later part of your junior year.
    Nope. Do something thats is related to your field, dont waste your time with this.
    Learning a scripting language is a good idea. You can also read up on future courses. Just find out what text books they use and go buy them. One thing I like to do over the summer is read past text books. I always learn something new when I reread them.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  4. Jun 14, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your advice, ranger. It makes sense. I don't want to waste my time with this, but should I care more about what division it is in or the work that I will be doing? I'm more interested in doing the research, but at this point, I can continue to do the research during the school year if need be. I'm concerned if I should take this "opportunity" (I use this term loosely)?

I just googled the company itself and the location in Google Maps, and I found that it was a subdivision of the actual company. From the name and description of the subdivison, I doubt they do anything electrical. I think I'll tell her I'm not interested.

Any other opinions? Thanks in advance.

5. Jun 14, 2007 #4
    Quick, she called me back today! I need another opinion, before I ultimately decide. Maybe I'm missing something, and you guys can shed some light on me :/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?