Grad Student Pursuing Electrical Engineering in LA Metro-Area

In summary, an electrical engineering graduate student is considering moving to Los Angeles to pursue a career in computer engineering. However, she is uncertain if she will be able to find a job in the area and is worried about how her location will be perceived by potential employers. She is also unsure if she should tell employers that she wants to work in Los Angeles when she attends career/internship fairs.
hammertime
I'm currently a grad student studying Electrical Engineering and I'm kind of interested in working and living in the Los Angeles metro-area.

I'm originally from NorCal (Silicon Valley, to be precise), and proud of it. In fact, I went to UCLA and got into plenty of playful NorCal vs. SoCal arguments. I love NorCal, but I still want to get away from it. I want to go back to Los Angeles because I felt a certain sense of freedom there that I just don't feel in the Bay Area.

So is it possible for me to get a job in computer engineering, VLSI, analog circuitry, digital signal processing, or imaging and image processing in the LA area?

Also, am I wrong for caring about the location of my employment? Some people I've spoken to have said that I shouldn't care about where the job is, as long as I have a well-paying job. But I keep trying to stay motivated by telling myself that, if I do well enough in grad school, I'll essentially be able to choose where I work instead of having to take the first job offered to me. Am I being naive?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't feel like you'll be productive/effective in X environment, who are we to say you will or should be?

Good luck with your job search. By the way, are you doing an MS or a PhD?

It's harder to get a job when you're looking for a specific region, a limited range of job positions and with no job experience.

But if I were to do some research, write a thesis, get some relevant coursework done and do well enough academically, would I then be able to essentially choose where I work?

Also, when I go to career/internship fairs, should I tell employers that I'd like to work in Southern California, or would that look bad?

I completely understand your desire to pursue a career in a specific location. Many factors, such as personal preferences and opportunities, can influence where we choose to live and work. And as a grad student in Electrical Engineering, you have the skills and knowledge to excel in a variety of industries, including computer engineering, VLSI, analog circuitry, digital signal processing, and imaging and image processing, making it possible for you to find a job in the Los Angeles metro-area in one of these fields.

It is not wrong to prioritize the location of your employment, as long as you are also considering other important factors such as job satisfaction and growth opportunities. It is important to find a balance between your personal preferences and career goals. And as you mentioned, excelling in grad school can open up more options for you to choose from in terms of job opportunities and location. So, keep working hard and staying motivated, and I believe you will be able to find a job in the LA area that aligns with your interests and goals.

1. What is the average salary for a graduate student pursuing electrical engineering in the LA Metro-Area?

The average salary for a graduate student pursuing electrical engineering in the LA Metro-Area can vary depending on the specific job and company. However, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for electrical engineers in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim area was $107,280 in May 2020.

2. What type of job opportunities are available for graduate students in electrical engineering in the LA Metro-Area?

There are a variety of job opportunities available for graduate students in electrical engineering in the LA Metro-Area. Some common job titles include electrical engineer, power systems engineer, control systems engineer, and electronics engineer. These roles can be found in industries such as aerospace, telecommunications, renewable energy, and more.

3. What universities in the LA Metro-Area offer graduate programs in electrical engineering?

Some universities in the LA Metro-Area that offer graduate programs in electrical engineering include the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of Southern California (USC), California State University, Los Angeles (CSULA), and California Institute of Technology (Caltech).

4. What skills are important for graduate students to have in the field of electrical engineering?

Some important skills for graduate students in electrical engineering to have include a strong foundation in math, problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, and the ability to work with complex systems. Additionally, proficiency in programming languages, knowledge of electrical circuitry, and familiarity with software and hardware development tools are essential in this field.

5. What is the job outlook for graduate students in electrical engineering in the LA Metro-Area?

The job outlook for graduate students in electrical engineering in the LA Metro-Area is positive. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of electrical engineers is projected to grow 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is driven by the demand for new technologies, such as electric cars and renewable energy sources, and the need to upgrade and maintain existing power systems.