1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EE MS + Physics PhD?

1. Sep 15, 2015 #1
    I have recently started a Physics PhD program. The first two years are mostly coursework, and the requirements are somewhat flexible. Once you pass all your courses, you pretty much automatically get a Physics masters. But, if I choose my courses wisely, I could probably end up with an EE MS on the way to the physics PhD.

I would like to stay in academia, but due to the tough job market, I recognize that there is a good chance I'll end up looking for jobs in industry. I have heard that many companies look for engineering degrees over physics degrees. When looking for jobs, do you think it would be advantageous to have an EE MS as well as the physics PhD?

The only downside of this plan I can think of would be that I'd have to take elective courses in the EE dept. that are somewhat less interesting to me than those I might take in the physics department.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2015 #2

analogdesign

Science Advisor

The EE degree will help you get EE jobs if you decide not to pursue postdocs in Physics. The hiring manager will wonder (rightly) why you got a Physics PhD and are then applying to EE jobs. Before you do that make sure you have a good answer to that question.

Bottom line is: if you want an EE job, it would be better to stop with the Masters. The Physics PhD won't help UNLESS you do work relevant to the job you're applying for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook