EE & Physics Double Major | Advice & Feasibility

In summary, it is possible to major in EE and physics at most four-year universities. The overlap between the first two years of the degrees is minimal, but there is significant overlap after that. A six-year degree would be necessary for two majors. A finance degree may be necessary if you want to work in investment banking.
SpaceDreamer
Hi, I am considering double majoring in EE and physics. I have looked through this fourm and found some stuff on the topic. I was ordering how feasible it would be and how much the majors would overlap. I also believe it would provide me with enough or nearly enough math courses for a minor. If anyone knows about this combo or has any advice, please say it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the overlap only similar for the first 2 years, then after that you have 2 years of completely different classes, i.e. NO overlap. So maybe a 6 year for 2 majors?

Also would I be able to enter/break into banking or fiancé with these degrees or maybe even quant work or would a finance degree be necessary. Specifically I am looking at investment banking.

At my school, after I receive a bachelors degree in EE, I only have to take two more Physics classes to qualify for a bachelors in Physics. And I think its 3 classes for the minor in math. So here they overlap pretty well.

The overlap would be any liberal arts requirements dictated by your school and freshman/sophomore level math and physics courses. Junior/senior level (i.e. upper level) physics courses would most likely not be required by, and thus not overlap with, any EE courses. An exception could usually be made, however for upper level electromagnetism.

Either major could be useful for becoming a quant, but they often want people PhD's. If you're goal is to eventually become a quant, then there's several graduate programs specifically in quantitative finance that have popped up over the last few years. I think these tend (are all?) MS programs, so that would seem like a better route than doing a traditional science/engineering PhD. I would assume that an undergraduate physics/EE background would be perfect for these MS programs.

Good to know, and thanks for the advice.

Whether or not it would be a good idea depends a lot on your specific school as well as your future plans. Most schools have very strict engineering requirements in order to have ABET accreditation, while physics is typically much more lenient. My school has a 4 year EE/Physics double major where the tech electives for the physics BS are filled completely with the EE classes. Therefore, you're able to take ONLY the core physics classes (mechanics, E&M, thermo, quantum, etc). This option would be awesome for someone who wants to end up in an EE grad program because they will already be prepared for quantum mechanics etc, and they will not loose any engineering electives (only tack on additional physics classes). On the other hand, if you're aiming for grad school in physics, then this double major would probably be a poor choice because you'll only have the basics and no course work in any particular sub field of physics. It all really depends on where you want to end up...

For me, I'll probably just do physics and take some EE electives which will allow me to go to physics or EE for grad school. I'll be much more restricted in EE grad programs but I'm only interested in the more physics oriented EE topics anyway.

As for becoming a quant... I have no idea really but I would think that physics/math or physics/finance(?) would be a better option than physics/EE. And that's only if you REALLY just can't see yourself not doing physics, otherwise, I would say just do math or finance.

jbrussell93 said:
As for becoming a quant... I have no idea really but I would think that physics/math or physics/finance(?) would be a better option than physics/EE. And that's only if you REALLY just can't see yourself not doing physics, otherwise, I would say just do math or finance.

I would argue physics/EE over math/finance. The reason the quant people like physicists is because physicists tend to understand how to translate worldly phenomena into equations. Physics figures out how to model interesting things as an equation while mathematics looks for equations that might be interesting for the sake of being interesting. An exception to this is maybe if you found a very good applied/industrial mathematics program.

As for EE, the caveat is that you would want your specialization to be signal processing. Stock prices, dividends, etc. are all just stochastic signals.

And why I would be against "traditional" finance, well when the highest level of mathematics you learn is "calculus of business majors" ... enough said.

1. What is the benefit of pursuing a double major in EE and Physics?

The benefit of pursuing a double major in EE and Physics is that it allows you to gain a comprehensive understanding of both electrical engineering and physics, which are closely related fields. This can open up a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, renewable energy, and aerospace engineering.

2. Is it feasible to complete a double major in EE and Physics in four years?

It is possible to complete a double major in EE and Physics in four years, but it will require careful planning and a heavy course load. It is important to meet with an academic advisor early on to create a plan that works for your individual situation.

3. What skills or qualities are necessary for success in a double major in EE and Physics?

Some of the key skills and qualities that are necessary for success in a double major in EE and Physics include strong mathematical and analytical skills, a passion for problem-solving, and the ability to think critically and creatively. Time management and organization are also important, as this double major will require a significant amount of coursework.

4. Are there any potential challenges or drawbacks to pursuing a double major in EE and Physics?

One potential challenge of pursuing a double major in EE and Physics is the heavy course load, which may be overwhelming for some students. Additionally, both fields require a lot of time and dedication, so it may be difficult to balance extracurricular activities or part-time work. It is important to carefully consider your academic abilities and commitments before deciding to pursue a double major.

5. What advice do you have for someone considering a double major in EE and Physics?

My advice would be to thoroughly research both fields and their course requirements before making a decision. It may also be helpful to speak with students who are currently pursuing a double major in EE and Physics to gain insight into their experiences. Additionally, make sure to stay organized and prioritize your workload to avoid getting overwhelmed. Finally, don't be afraid to seek help from professors or academic advisors if you are struggling with any coursework or need guidance on planning your schedule.