Exploring EE Research Fields for Postgraduate Study

In summary, the poster is finishing their undergraduate degree and plans to continue into a PhD. They have worked with a postdoc in remote sensing and have developed an interest in neuroscience and plasma physics. They are unsure how to decide which programs to apply for and are considering job prospects and research variability. They also seek advice from others who have had difficulty choosing a field of research.
Yarger
I've got one more year left to finish my undergraduate EE degree and I'm planning on continuing straight into a PhD. I've had the chance to work with a postdoc on remote sensing/space science research and I've really enjoyed it. I've also developed an interest in neuroscience and plasma physics, though I haven't done any research in those fields.

I know just a little about plasma in space, but I've never had any formal courses on it, so I don't know the span of this field. I tried looking at research summaries, but most of the topics are currently above my head. Nevertheless, my favorite part of EE so far has been electrodynamics, and I feel like there could be a lot of research that I would find interesting with plasmas.

I've taken a course on neuro-anatomy and understand the research in that field better. I would hope to do research somewhere between basic celluar science and non-invasive treatments, though I'd be happy doing other experimental research in this area.

Since I've been around space/atmospheric science for a few years, I think I can say with confidence that I would enjoy this as well.

Now the problem is that most of these are unrelated, except maybe certain research in plasma physics and space science. I'm not sure how to go about deciding which programs to apply for next year. I believe the tie breaker for me would be...

1. The likeliness that I can actually land a stable research job post-grad. I'm open to either academia, industry or government research, but I prefer it to be some sort of career in research. I don't think I'll mind doing a postdoc or 2, considering the salaries I've seen are higher than the total household income I grew up on.

2. The variability in research. It would be nice to have the freedom to jump around a little within the field I go into.

Has anyone else had difficulty deciding on a general field of research? How did you eventually work through a choice?

Also, Happy Valentines!

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, congratulations on nearing the completion of your undergraduate degree and your decision to pursue a PhD! It sounds like you have a diverse range of interests and experiences, which is a great asset in the world of research.

In terms of deciding which field to focus your PhD studies on, I would recommend exploring your options by speaking with professors and researchers in each of the fields you mentioned. They can give you a better understanding of the current research being conducted and the potential job opportunities in each field. Additionally, you can also look into attending conferences or workshops related to these fields to gain more insight and network with professionals in the industry.

In terms of landing a stable research job post-grad, it is important to keep in mind that the job market can be unpredictable and highly competitive. However, having a PhD in a specialized field can greatly increase your chances of securing a research position. It is also important to stay updated on current research trends and to gain experience through internships or research assistantships during your PhD studies.

As for the variability in research, this can vary depending on the specific field and the type of research you choose to pursue. It is important to carefully consider the research opportunities available within each field and to choose a program that allows for flexibility and exploration.

It is not uncommon to have difficulty deciding on a specific field of research, but remember that it is okay to change your focus as you continue your studies and gain more experience. Follow your interests and passions, and don't be afraid to explore different options before making a decision.

Wishing you all the best in your academic and research journey. Happy Valentine's Day!

1. What is the importance of exploring EE research fields for postgraduate study?

Exploring EE research fields for postgraduate study is important because it allows you to gain a deeper understanding of the field and identify areas of interest that align with your academic and career goals. It also helps you to make informed decisions about which specific research area or topic you want to focus on during your postgraduate studies.

2. How do I go about exploring EE research fields for postgraduate study?

There are a few ways to explore EE research fields for postgraduate study. You can start by reading academic journals, attending conferences and workshops, and talking to professors and current graduate students in your field of interest. It's also helpful to browse university websites and departmental pages to see what research projects are currently being conducted.

3. What are some popular EE research fields for postgraduate study?

Some popular EE research fields for postgraduate study include power and energy systems, telecommunications and networking, digital signal processing, computer engineering, and electronics and photonics. However, there are many other sub-fields within EE that you can explore, so it's best to keep an open mind and do your research to find the best fit for you.

4. How can exploring EE research fields benefit my future career?

Exploring EE research fields can benefit your future career in various ways. It can help you develop specialized knowledge and skills that are in-demand in the job market, making you a competitive candidate for positions in academia, industry, or government. Additionally, conducting research in a specific EE field can also lead to publications, patents, and collaborations, all of which can enhance your professional profile.

5. Can I change my research field during my postgraduate studies?

Yes, it is possible to change your research field during your postgraduate studies. In fact, it's not uncommon for students to switch fields or adjust their research focus as they gain more experience and knowledge. However, it's important to consult with your advisor and make sure that the change aligns with your academic goals and does not significantly delay your graduation timeline.