EE Senior Design Projects

In summary, the conversation involves discussing ideas for senior year projects that combine both electrical engineering and mechanical engineering. The suggestion of a Single-Sided Linear Induction Motor is made, which requires both EE theories and mechanical design skills. Another idea of a robotic arm is brought up, with consideration for the time constraints and complexity of the mechanical design aspect. The question of which software would be best for practicing mechanical design is also raised, with the suggestion of SolidWorks being the industry standard.
Ryuk1990
Hi all, I'm curious about what you guys did for a senior year project. Even though I'm still far from graduating, I'm already thinking about senior design.

Anyone have any ideas for an EE project that involves mechanical engineering as well? Maybe that wouldn't be feasible since as an EE major I wouldn't have much mechanical knowledge, let alone mechanical design experience.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try a SLIM, Single-Sided Linear Induction Motor... it's interesting, has good EE theories (mainly about motors, of course), but requires a nice mechanical design too.

^Thank you, I will definitely consider that.

What about a robotic arm? Could a team of EEs do that or would the mechanical design aspects be too complicated to learn within the amount of time we would have?

If I want to practice mechanical design on my own, would SolidWorks be the best software to learn since that's the industry standard?

What is an EE Senior Design Project?

An EE Senior Design Project is a project that students in their final year of an electrical engineering program complete as part of their graduation requirements. It involves applying the knowledge and skills gained throughout their degree to design, build, and test a functioning electrical engineering project.

What are the benefits of doing an EE Senior Design Project?

EE Senior Design Projects provide students with hands-on experience in applying their theoretical knowledge to real-world problems. It also allows them to work in a team, develop project management skills, and demonstrate their abilities to potential employers.

How are EE Senior Design Projects evaluated?

EE Senior Design Projects are evaluated based on their technical design, functionality, innovation, and project management. Students are also required to submit a written report and give a presentation to a panel of judges.

Can students choose their own EE Senior Design Project?

In most cases, students are given the freedom to choose their own EE Senior Design Project. However, the project must be approved by their advisor and must meet the program's requirements and guidelines.

What types of projects are typically done for EE Senior Design Projects?

EE Senior Design Projects can range from designing and building electronic circuits to developing software applications to solving real-world engineering problems. Some common projects include creating a smart home system, designing a solar-powered car, or developing a new medical device.