EE senior electives - need advice

In summary, an undergraduate student is considering a few senior electives and is interested in electromagnetics, power engineering, microprocessors, and electronics. They are also interested in nanotechnology, but are unsure if it is the right field.
ionlylooklazy
dont know if this is the right forum, but...

For my undergraduate degree I have to take three senior electives of my choice. There are 38 courses in 13 concentration areas, but I only have interest in a handful;

-------------------------------------------------------------

Electromagnetics

- Antennas
- Electromagnetics I

Controls and Robotics

- Control Theory I
- Control Theory II
- Mechanics and Control of Robotic Manipulators

Power Engineering

- Introduction to Power I
- Introduction to Power II
- Introduction to Power III

Circuit Design

- Micro and Nano Electronics Device Fabrication
- NanoElectronics & NanoTechnology (my uni is still experimenting with this class)
- VHDL Design
- VLSI Design I
- VLSI Design II

Microprocessors

- Microcomputers
- Advanced Microprocessors
- Intelligent Robotics (more of a hobby class, competes in RoboCup (robotic soccer))

Electronics

- Physical Electronics
- Advanced Analog Circuits
- Advanced Digital Circuits

Industrial Controls

- Introduction to Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC)

the remaining areas are:
Optoelectronics and Photonics
Communications
Digital Systems
Global Engineering
CpE Related Courses

Avionics Engineering (big avionics program at my uni)
----------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering if anyone has any experience in any of these fields and if they could offer some insight.

also, I was curious as to what kind of demand these fields have in the work-place and which fields have a lot of growth potential (nanotech?)

right now, I am leaning more towards control (PLC, control theory I & II), but am just as interested in Nanotech and ElectroMagnetics

we are required to take three, but can take more if we can fit it into our schedule (they count towards tech electives too!)

any advice/information is appreciated

much thanks
ionlylooklazy

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
My recommendation is nanotechnology. It's new (Exciting) and will start growing like a weed. You will be one of the pioneers. VLSI stuff is also good, but you will need to work hard to come up to speed. The industry is now well established.
Good luck.
Joe

is there anyone here that has any experience in the nanotech field or know where I can found out general information in regard to electrical engineering?

What are the prerequisites for taking an EE senior elective?

The prerequisites for taking an EE senior elective vary depending on the specific course. However, most courses require completion of lower division courses in mathematics, physics, and introductory electrical engineering courses.

Can I take an EE senior elective if I am not an EE major?

Yes, many EE senior electives are open to students from other majors. However, it is recommended that non-EE majors consult with an advisor or the course instructor to ensure they have the necessary background knowledge to be successful in the course.

How do I choose which EE senior elective to take?

It is important to consider your interests and career goals when choosing an EE senior elective. You can also consult with your advisor or the department for recommendations based on your strengths and academic background.

What is the workload like for an EE senior elective?

The workload for an EE senior elective can vary depending on the course and instructor. Generally, these courses require a significant amount of time and effort, including labs, projects, and exams. It is important to carefully manage your time and stay organized to be successful in these courses.

Are there any popular EE senior electives that are highly recommended?

Some popular and highly recommended EE senior electives include digital signal processing, microelectronics, and power systems. However, the best course for you will depend on your personal interests and career goals. It is important to research and consider all options before making a decision.