EE Student's Guide to Choosing a Computer for 3rd Year

• Thread starter SuperMiguel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee Student
In summary: No, that is not generally how it works. There are some specialized cases where it may make more sense to use a Mac, but for the most part, Windows is the dominant platform.In summary, a Windows machine would be more powerful for your engineering needs and easier to use.
SuperMiguel
So I am staring my 3rd year of EE, taking calc 3, physics 2, and other crap. So i currently have a macbook pro 13" (2.2 dual core cpu) with 8gb of ram and 2 ssd running in raid 0. Its very fast for what i do now.. (basic programming)

a) My question is simple, since most (if not all) of the faculty members and computers lab use windows/linux, should i sell my mac and get a windows computer and dual boot windows and linux? if yes -> b

b) how much power do i need on that new system?

pst: I am really into microcontrollers and robotics.. not sure if it maters

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can't you install Linux on a Mac? Seems like that would be a simpler first step if you already have a Mac.

DaleSwanson said:
Can't you install Linux on a Mac? Seems like that would be a simpler first step if you already have a Mac.

I tried ubuntu but i had a very hard time with the wirless the fans the touchpad was crazy and very slow. So i gave up

My $0.02 - get a Windows machine and you'll make your life a lot easier for your engineering needs.

I'm not sure what programs you have to use now, but generally speaking, Mac/Linux take a backseat to the Windows in development and support for a lot of engineering software that I have to use. This is especially 'fun' in any software that needs drivers to interface with peripheral devices as it looks like you have found out.

How powerful should that system be?

SuperMiguel said:
How powerful should that system be?
That all depends on what software you are trying to run. Start by checking the system requirements for the software you have. You could also check the hardware out at your school to see what they are running to get some ideas.

Just for some embedded development on the firmware side, I can't imagine anything too spectacular is really needed.

From my experience, the only time the computer hardware really starts to matter is when a lot of calculations and/or rendering are needed (advanced simulation and PCB layout). Otherwise, if the system meets the software requirements, it usually won't crawl too badly.

I may be wrong here, but can't you just use boot camp and install windows 7. I do not believe that a mbp has a raid controller, but rather the raid 0 is done by software.

edit: My bad, I re-read and saw you want a linux/windows pc. I had a buddy with an old powerbook and his hdd controller failed on mobo and he ended up booting the OS from an external hdd (you could throw linux on that).

Last edited:
Yes that raid 0 is a software one

I use VMWare Fusion with my Macbook Pro: you can run both Windows and Linux as virtual machines. If you load up on RAM, it (or Parallels) will run pretty well for most of the simple development stuff (MPLAB, WinAVR, PCB layout, etc.) Most of the physical hardware is abstracted (at least in Windows) and you get a pretty generic setup.

If you're into really computationally intensive stuff (long COMSOL simulations and the likes) you'd probably be better off running the simulation on a PC (in the computer lab, which you hopefully have access to) in either case.

Ummm

1. What are the minimum technical specifications for a computer suitable for a 3rd year EE student?

The minimum technical specifications for a computer suitable for a 3rd year EE student would include at least an Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and a solid-state drive (SSD) with at least 256GB of storage. It should also have a dedicated graphics card for running engineering software.

2. Should I choose a desktop or laptop for my 3rd year EE studies?

It ultimately depends on your personal preference and needs. A desktop may offer more power and upgradability, but a laptop provides portability for studying on the go. Consider your study habits and the type of projects you will be working on before making a decision.

3. Is it necessary to have a touchscreen or pen input for an EE student's computer?

No, it is not necessary. While a touchscreen or pen input can be useful for certain tasks, it is not essential for an EE student's computer. Focus on getting a computer with the necessary technical specifications and consider touchscreen or pen input as a bonus feature if it fits within your budget.

4. Can I use a Mac for my 3rd year EE studies?

Yes, you can use a Mac for your EE studies. However, you may need to use virtualization software to run Windows-based engineering programs and ensure compatibility with your coursework. Additionally, some engineering software may not be available for Mac, so consider this when making your decision.

5. How much should I budget for a computer for my 3rd year EE studies?

The cost of a computer for 3rd year EE studies can vary depending on your needs and budget. However, as a general guideline, aim to spend at least $800-$1000 for a laptop and $1000-$1500 for a desktop. Keep in mind that investing in a quality computer can save you time and frustration in the long run.